DjangoBooks.com

(Gypsy) Jazz in NYC next weekend?

favino881favino881 Strasbourg, France✭✭✭✭
in Welcome Posts: 46
Hello,

I am on business trip for 2 weeks in Indianapolis and will visit New York next weekend (11-JUL to 12-JUL).
Would you have any advice on pleasant venues where I could have a chance to listen to some good jazz? I won't dare to ask for gypsy jazz, but if you have some "hot" tips, I will be the happiest man on earth!

Thanks a lot/Merci beaucoup!
Favino881

Comments

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    It looks like Stephane Wrembel will be playing in Brooklyn on July 12.
    http://stephanewrembel.com/tour/
    BTW, it seems you would have great gypsy jazz in Strasbourg, one of my favorite French towns in the beautiful Alsatian area.
  • JMPJMP Berkeley, CA✭✭
    Favino881: in addition to Wrembel at Barbes, it turns out that NYC will be guitar heaven this weekend...I live near San Francisco, but just got back from visiting my daughter in Brooklyn. I sure wish I had been able to go a bit later and take in at least one of these shows:

John Scofield at Birdland www.birdlandjazz.com
    Russell Malone at the Village Vanguard www.villagevanguard.com
    Lage Lund at Cornelia Street Cafe www.corneliastreetcafe.com
    Tim Green feat Gilad Hekselman at Small's www.smallsjazzclub.com

If that isn't enough, check out Larry Willis/Buster Williams at Mezzrow, or Jim Rotondi/Joe Locke at Smoke.

Nothing like NYC...

Also: thanks for all your good contributions to the Guitare Jazz Manouche forum. Have a good trip!
    Koran Agan plays Radegast Biergarten in Brooklyn most Sundays 1-4 or during their brunch hours. I enjoyed his trio a lot when I visited in March. Django repertoire played in a straight jazz trio by one of the most accomplished players on the scene today.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 4,730
    Koran Agan plays Radegast Biergarten in Brooklyn most Sundays 1-4 or during their brunch hours. I enjoyed listening to his trio a lot when I visited in March. Django repertoire played in a straight jazz trio by one of the most accomplished players on the scene today.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel