DjangoBooks.com

Samois Diary

DjangoBooksDjangoBooks Seattle✭✭✭ All of them!
edited August 2015 in Europe Posts: 446
imageSamois Diary

By Michel Mercier Good ol’ Samois… my 15th year as far as I’m concerned and still as excited as ever before taking the road to this magnificent, out of time place along the river Seine. Once you see it, you immediately understand why Django, though a long time gypsy wanderer, decided to settle...

Read the full story here

Tagged:
None

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    For those of you who couldn't make it to Samois this year, enjoy this full report from Michel!
  • bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
    Michel, thank you for your musings! It was a pleasure to meet you and so nice of you to provide me a brief "get the courage to jam" lesson in Paris in preparation for Samois. The Django Fete was as magical for my wife and daughter almost as much as it was for me. The festival also provided me with a magical new guitar from French luthier, Jordan Wencek (with the help of your playing and opinion). I will have to go through the videos one-by-one as time provides. Au revoir, mon ami!
  • Micheal IrwinMicheal Irwin ✭✭
    Michael, what an amazing report. I was only there two days and can honestly say it's the best festival I have ever attended. Just an incredible experience. Would love to do the camping but my wife is not going for that. The bus ride from Fontainbleu wasn't bad but I would want to be closer next time. I don't think you can plan too far ahead for this festival. Great report.
    Thank you, Michel - can hardly wait for next year!
  • MitchMitch Paris, Jazz manouche's capital city!✭✭✭✭ Di Mauro, Lebreton, Castelluccia, Patenotte, Gallato
    Hey Bob, great to hear from you! I was just about to take some news. Thanks for your kind words, and about the guitar, well it was so good that it barely needed help from anyone to be chosen ;) I didn't mention it in my article because I hadn't tried all the guitars and I didn't want to bring the light on a luthier instead of another but as soon as I tried the Jordan Wencek guitars with you it was clear that they were standing out. Real bombshells! Many friends of mine during the festival had a crush on those as well.
    As far as I'm concerned, if Wencek manages to maintain such quality in his production, he could stand along Holo, Lebreton, Dupont.. I love the way he reduced costs on making the finish and binding simpler but still offering a great sound quality.
    So, excellent choix mon ami!
    I'm glad your wife and daughter loved the festival for it can be such a guitar-geek thing :)

Thanks Michael and Donna, and thanks Stuart for the info, it appears I missed something indeed!

Actually there is also my friend Dustin Verhelst from Netherlands, he's making pics out of pool/billiard balls! Combining Django's passions for music and pool :) but he started selling them last year.