DjangoBooks.com

latin influence on Gypsy jazz

edited July 2009 in Pearl Django Play-Along Vol.1 Posts: 14
Greg,
I have to begin by echoing the comments of praise for the quality of this book. It conveys a wealth of valuable creative insight into this music. I am enjoying working through all of the material, but as a chord melody player found the Dudley composition New Metro Swing to be a special treat. I am sorry I did not get to see Pearl Django while he was in the band.

I did get to her you guys in Florida recently, and attended your workshops in Waldo. Thanks for taking the trouble to come down this way and I hope it was a good trip from your perspective. I found your rhythm workshop to be especially valuable and took particular pleasure in your taking us through the tune Bossa Dorado. Later when I heard your composition Palo Verde on a CD I had picked up after the workshop I began to appreciate the strong latin influence on gypsy music, which is something I wish I had asked about during the workshop. I am getting the melody of Palo Verde fairly well off the recording, but there are a couple of harmonies I am still struggling to hear. I hope you will feature some latin influenced tunes in your in future books you release, because this material is so unique and wonderful - sort of the best of both worlds. By the way, your teaching skills are pretty impressive. Thanks for sharing them so generously.

Charles Cooper,
Jacksonville

Comments

• gregrubygregruby Moderator
    Thanks for the compliment on the book. I'm glad it is serving you as a useful tool.

We had a great time in Florida. I hope it can happen again sometime. Plus it was a great departure from the Seattle winter.

I'm glad you got something out of the workshop. I try to cover all the bases while still keeping it a playing experience. It is a subject I am passionate about and I like to share what I know.

I really love the Latin tunes as well. Thanks for the compliment on Palo Verde. It is a fun tune to improvise on. It will probably end up in the next book.

Keep playing and if you have any questions feel free to write.

all the best,

Greg
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    I know this is an old thread, but ironically enough, I'm listening to Palo Verde right now - just got 3 more of PJ's albums, and I absolutely love their latin stuff, as well as their music generally.

Have to add, I spoke with Rick Leppanen the other day - he and my wife share alumnus status from the same small town college - and would like to say that in addition to being such a phenomenal musician, Rick's one heck of a gentleman. Can't wait to see them live. (First up is seeing Chris and Gypsy Caravan in Madison, next month - really excited about this, too!).

The play along book is en route - based on what Michael has to say, and my talk with Rick, I am very eager to tap this resource. Thanks, PJ, for your music, and Greg, for putting such a book together.

Paul
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.