DjangoBooks.com

Anyone have chords for this version?

AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
in Technique Posts: 541
Anyone have the chord voicings the rhythm player is using here? They are different (and better) than the ones I know.

Share this video http://youtu.be/aTK_UToAYXY

Comments

• gatsbygatsby United States✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015 Posts: 119
    He plays very standard chords. Which ones in particular are you interested in? The only thing he does differently is at the end: G7-C7-F, instead of the usual Bb/B-C/C7-F
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    I am very new to this genre, so for example G7 to me has many possibilities, probably not the ones you're thinking of. For example the first chord the rhythm player uses (actually 2nd chord in the song - he missed the 1st chord), looks to be on the 9th fret. I play 6x56xx (a Bbm7?) there.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah the chords look pretty standard. He intentionally lays out on the first 2 measures of Bb (which is not unusual for the head in). Then Bbm with the root on the 6th fret 6th string. Then F in first position, and it looks like he plays B7 to C7 (i.e. approaches the C7 from 1/2 step below) but not sure about that.

The rest looks pretty standard except looks like Cm to D7 (rather than Am7b5 to D7). Also not sure about the Dm6 that he is playing after the A7??? His thumb looks like it is on the 2nd fret on that one but he is probably damping that note rather than playing it since it is a major 3rd.
  • gatsbygatsby United States✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015 Posts: 119
    Bones,

He plays Cm because Am7b5 = Cm6. All you need to do is add an A, like this: 5-x-5-5-4-x. Django does that very often, for instance, playing a Dm6 arpeggio or lick on a E7. (When Day is Done, HCQ Strut, etc.)

What he plays after the A7 seems to be a Dm like this: x-(3)-3-2-3-x, but he makes it sound like an F6/9. Overall he takes a few liberties with the chords, not necessarily to best effect, though.

PS: it should be added, for the hardcore fans like I am, that in the Django/Baro version, Baro remains in F the whole time (Bb - Bbm - F - F). No E7, no C7, no Fdim and so on. Pure F.

See here between 0'17 and 0'22 or so

• MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Am7b5 in I'll See You in My Dreams!? Where?
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited October 2015 Posts: 3,319
    Matteo, bars 25-26 probably are written D7 but I've always played it Am7b5 to D7 since it fits the melody well and adds some harmonic motion during those long 2 measures just for fun. Not sure where I got that from but as Gatsby said in the vid he plays Cm instead of Am7b5 but they are practically the same chord and function the same in that context which is like a II-V (or IV-V) in Gm.

Gatsby, yeah the C7 over that part of the long F section is actually written as a quick E7 last 2 beats of bar 6 (I forgot about that). Probably doesn't make much difference as long as everyone is on the same proverbial page but yeah essentially 4 bars of F.
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Ok, I understand now. Yes, that works. Thanks!
  • Cm6 notes C Eb G A. Usually played on guitar either by dropping the G or played with the G as the lowest note. If you play it as 3 rd inversion you get A C Eb G

Am7b5 .......A C Eb G
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed