DjangoBooks.com

Got three minutes for a sweet little Oscar Aleman tune?

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
in Welcome Posts: 1,855
Hi all,

Apologies for my absence these past couple weeks but I've been away on a Caribbean jazz cruise, which was great even despite the absence of Bucky Pizzarelli, who unfortunately had to cancel at the last minute due to health issues.

I got back in time to do my regular Sunday night gig in Buffalo NY. Driving home after midnight takes about an hour, and it's a great chance for me to listen to the stockpile of CD's in my car.

Last night I fell in love with an Oscar Aleman tune I'd never really noticed before "Hombre Mio" or "Man of Mine".

The album credits Oscar with this charming composition, recorded in Argentina on June 2, 1942. The violinist is listed as Guillermo Oliva.

As my late father used to say, "If this is the kind of thing you like, then you're really going to like it!"

I'd especially ask Mr. Denis Chang to listen to this because I think it would make a great one for Rino and Tcha to play together sometime.

Will

PS Listen all the way through because the catchy little chorus doesn't start until about halfway through.

Listening to Oscar's solo and accompaniment fills, I hear flashes of both Django and Eddie Lang...
Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
pickitjohnalton

Comments

• Oscar was such a wonderfully lyrical player.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    Nice playing, I have this on the Grisman produced 2CD set, but why when I open the mp3 in iTunes does it say it is by Will Willson? Anyone know who he is (was)?
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    That would be me, Chris... for some reason known only to the geek gods, iTunes was very generous in ascribing Oscar's beautiful to yours truly!
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Lovely tune and fantastic playing! One of my favourite recordings with Oscar A. I wish there were more. Is there any chance that unknown recordings may be discovered in the future?
  • I have a Double CD that has about 50-60 of his recordings on it. Michael used to have it but it appears to be out of "print" now.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    The 2CD set that Jazzaferri refers to may be the one I have which was released by David Grisman's AcousticDisc label. It is still listed on their website, but it is not clear whether it is still in stock or available only as a download. Either way, there is a lot of good stuff on there and certainly the best intro to Aleman. Try;
    http://www.acousticdisc.com/acd_html/1.html