DjangoBooks.com

For Puget Sound Djangophiles and Jazzoids - We need to act now to save KPLU!!!!

cbwimcbwim ✭✭✭
edited December 2015 in Welcome Posts: 190
Some of you may not be aware of the impending hostile takeover and sale of one of the best Jazz stations in Puget Sound KPLU by KUOW. This was agreed upon by back door meetings between Pacific Lutheran University and University of Washington administrators with no input of the public. The public reaction has been a disaster. We need to all write letters (everything is explained by Cliff Mass in the link below) to help save this station!!!! Soon - as the sale is supposed to go through on Dec. 18th. Thanks!!!

See http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2015/12/why-are-plu-and-uw-administrators.html

Comments

• cbwimcbwim ✭✭✭
    One of the best shows on that station is Ken Wiley's "Art of Jazz" every Sunday from 3-6PM Pacific Time. You can stream it worldwide at kplu.org and clicking on the Listen Live link. Ken plays a bunch of vintage Jazz and Swing including old Django and contemporaries, frequently featuring old recordings from his extensive collection. He knew many of the performers that he features and tells great stories about them. Check it out. And then send your letters of support!!!!
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    @cbwim Wow, I hadn't heard about this. Thanks for the heads up! KPLU probably plays more Gypsy jazz than any other station in the country. It would be a disaster to see them shut down.

And Cliff Mass is the coolest meteorologist on the planet...

'm
    Mandobart
  • cbwimcbwim ✭✭✭
    Thanks Michael!!!
  • husyhusy Seattle✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting. I had heard about it, but wasn't aware that it meant KPLU shutting down completely. That would be sad indeed.

If the deal isn't reversed, do you know what happens to the current KPLU programs? Does a "transfer of assets" include that?
  • cbwimcbwim ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately nobody knows. KUOW is making promises but given their breaking of the public trust in this entire process nobody trusts them. I certainly don't. I suspect its mostly a hostile takeover so that they become the only major NPR affiliate in the Seattle area. Pacific Lutheran University isn't helping - apparently the Publicity Director and the President "forgot" to show the Board of Regents a letter from KPLU's citizen's advisory committee condemning the sale before the decision was made. KUOW may have also violated the Washington State Open Meetings Law, since it is part of the University of Washington and this brilliant decision was made behind closed doors. None of this is building any trust - but is eroding it and frankly it is a huge public relations disaster that they are foisting upon themselves. I don't think we can count on them to do anything with the programming but water the music down to the easy listening stuff and eventually eliminate it because it will no longer be popular after they ruin it.

• cbwimcbwim ✭✭✭
    Not only that - when you write them about it and express concerns they respond that it is a done deal and ignore the concerns, or say you are incorrect. They are lying. And one thing they aren't even mentioning is the idea of a grass roots movement for the citizens to purchase the station. Fortunately the FCC requires about 3-4 months for it to go through and that is plenty of time for some sort of injunction. I hope someone is planning one! Meantime we'll write letters to the FCC as well telling them to turn KUOW down in this hostile takeover.
  • MandobartMandobart ✭✭ Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, Mandocello, Fiddles
    My son is in his third year at PLU. Great school for him. He told me about this a few weeks back. He is a student DJ at the LASR - an on-line only station. They share KPLU's license to play copyrighted music. If KPLU is closed, LASR shuts down too. Here is a link to an on-line petition. I don't know how much good these things do, but here it is:

KPLU Sale Petition
  • husyhusy Seattle✭✭✭
    Probably most Seattle area folks who would care have already heard about the new effort to raise money for keeping KPLU independent, but I thought I'd post the link just in case:

http://www.kplu.org/save-kplu

I chipped in. Good luck raising what's needed to stay afloat.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel