DjangoBooks.com

Anyone going to DIJ 2016 from the UK?

cjlcjl
edited March 2016 in North America Posts: 45
Probably won't be able to go this year, but definitely fancy it for next year..... but does anyone go from the UK?

... and what's the best/cheapest way to get there? ... any ideas welcome....
Tagged:

Comments

• JojoJojo London UK
    I've never been but if you book far enough ahead you can book a coach from London to Paris for £20 return. That's eight hours on a bus, mind, and then you have to get to Samois from there. Maybe best to use Eurostar booked well in advance?
  • guitarmikeguitarmike Montreal, Quebec✭✭ Old French Gypsy Guitar
    It will be cheaper if you dont stop at Samois on your way to DIJ...
    wim
  • JojoJojo London UK
    Haha! Apologies. A whopper of a mistake on my part (you may be able to detect I'm new to this sorta stuff...)
  • cjlcjl

No problem, Jojo .... although just the thought of 8 hours on a coach is making me feel gammy .... Eurostar is definitely the way to go!

I'm surprised no one from the uk goes to DIJ .... :|
  • andoatagnandoatagn Northampton, MAProdigy
    There's no question that DiJ is primarily intended to give Americans (North and South) access to the kind of talent you in the UK already have so close by. But we have had a few people from the UK attend over the years, most commonly when they could combine it with work or travel that they had intended anyway. If you can make it, we'd love to have you!
    ~Andrew
    Django in June
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,454
    Went from UK in 2014 - well, I was living in London at the time, but I'm not English so maybe it doesn't count for you! :)

I flew with Air Canada. The price was £574
    16 Jun : London (Heathrow) -> Toronto (Pearson) -> Hartford
    22 Jun : Hartford -> Montreal -> London

This flight was easy, Hartford is right on the east side of USA, so it's just a short hop over the Atlantic. Compare coming from Melbourne (or Hobart, for Josh and Harry), which is about three times the distance!

This year, I'm in Chicago, so I can practically walk there! <:-P
  • cjlcjl
    Thank you gents, hopefully I can make it next year when my finances (and my playing) are in better shape .... and it would probably make sense to combine DiJ with some sort of holiday...

Wim, thanks for the details, I didn't realise that there was no direct flight, which makes it more of a mission .... (... and I should also take the opportunity to apologise for inadvertantly causing you an awkward moment at Samois last year .... )