DjangoBooks.com

WTB: Gitane D-500 Guitar

crothcroth ✭✭
edited March 2016 in Classifieds Posts: 107
Hi. I'm looking for a used Gitane D-500 guitar.

I am a player and I do own a high end oval hole, 14 fret GJ guitar, but I'd like one that I can travel with on the airlines that I won't be as uptight about taking the inherent risks of flight travel with.

The D-500 caught my attention, and I wouldn't mind having one 12 fret D-hole in my collection.

I'd like it to be in reasonably good condition, though it can have some signs of wear and use. The frets must be in very good condition and it should not have had any repairs, nor any cracks or major modifications (that's very subjective, so I'm open to discussing that).

It doesn't matter to me how old it is, though I will ask you if you know. Its condition matters more.

It's not important if it comes with a case or not, as long as it was well taken care of... and if you are exceptionally good at packing and shipping (assuming you're not nearby). I am just outside of the NYC area.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you have one to sell.

Thanks for looking and hoping to hear from you.

~Carl

Comments

• AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    I see these on ebay all the time. There are 10 right now listed in the US.
  • crothcroth ✭✭
    Yes, thanks Andrew. I am aware of just about all the ones available for sale and have explored them all, locally and across the country, including those on the major forums and on a national craigslist site.

The ones on ebay are mostly new, are often listed for more money than Michael sells them for here on djangobooks (one seller is asking over $1000 for his for example), or are customer returns to major vendors who are trying to flip them at way too close to the new price value. I'd prefer to pay the extra $30 than buy a customer return from musiciansfriend for example. Ebay's new fee structure seems to be forcing sellers to ask far too much for these guitars which can be had for better prices on the major gypsy jazz seller sites like djangobooks and others. Amazon's prices are ridiculous.

I have also been in touch with private people all around the country who have implied they want to sell theirs, but so far those people have been either hesitant or conditional. Which doesn't mean I haven't made the mistake of letting one really good opportunity slip through my fingers. I hesitated and I lost.

With respect, I have much experience with buying/selling guitars online, have done my due diligence. I'm looking for someone who actually has one that they actually want to sell, or someone who can point me to someone who they know who wants to sell theirs.

I am looking for a used one from a private seller, and one who is willing to ship in the event that they are not in my local NYC Metro area.

All that said, I appreciate your attempt to get involved. Thanks.
  • BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    Considering the new price is reasonable, why not buy a new one from a reputable dealer such as djangobooks ?

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Have you considered the Saga Cigano GJ-15? I have owned a Gitane DG-255 and currently have a Cigano GJ-10 and prefer it to the Gitane.
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    The good thing about a used guitar is with the inconsistency of these brands, a tested specimen (and hopefully broken-in) is often better than new. Here in Cleveland the ONLY option is internet buying, since no one carries any gypsy guitars in stock at all. You're lucky to be in NYC where you have a much bigger market, places to hear live gypsy jazz and shop for instruments.

Good luck in your search!
  • crothcroth ✭✭
    edited March 2016 Posts: 107
    Bohemian wrote: »
    Considering the new price is reasonable, why not buy a new one from a reputable dealer such as djangobooks ?
    LOL. I have to smile. I don't know how to answer questions like these. ;)):
  • crothcroth ✭✭
    jonpowl wrote: »
    Have you considered the Saga Cigano GJ-15? I have owned a Gitane DG-255 and currently have a Cigano GJ-10 and prefer it to the Gitane.

Yes Jonpowl, I have looked at those and I think they are a great value and probably great guitars. I might end up considering one, but for the moment, I've set my goal on the DG-500 for whatever subjective reason. My ideas do change with time though.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's appreciated and you did peak my curiosity with your favorable comparison of the 10 to the 255.
  • crothcroth ✭✭
    The good thing about a used guitar is with the inconsistency of these brands, a tested specimen (and hopefully broken-in) is often better than new. Here in Cleveland the ONLY option is internet buying, since no one carries any gypsy guitars in stock at all. You're lucky to be in NYC where you have a much bigger market, places to hear live gypsy jazz and shop for instruments.

Good luck in your search!

Thank you Andrew. I appreciate your understanding post. There are many reasons why one might seek a used guitar as opposed to a new one. You've hit on one of them.

As an aside, despite that I live in NY, you would be surprised at how difficult it is to find gypsy jazz guitars in regular music stores. To my amazement, one of the largest and most successful mom n pop guitar stores near to where I live never even heard of gypsy jazz guitars and don't know what they are!

• t-birdt-bird Portland, Oregon Castelluccia Nuages, Dupont Nomade
    jonpowl wrote: »

I also prefer the Cigano to the Gitane in this case. I have played both the DG-500 and the GJ-15 and found the Cigano to be louder and have more bark than the Gitane which was a bit dull and didn't have as much gypsy sound. They both have wide nuts and fat (and comfortable) necks, with the Gitane being noticeably heavier.

FWIW, I own a GJ-0. The construction and light weight give it sound and playability well beyond the second hand price I payed. The neck is too thin for me to recommend sight unseen (unplayed), but it is a great guitar to keep on a stand in the living room or take on a trip. When my four year old throws a ball in its direction, I don't even blink.

I have a Paris Swing GG-42 I would be willing to sell if you're interested. It is in very good condition and is drier than both my Cigano and my Dupont Nomade.

Hope your search finds you a guitar you love.

• crothcroth ✭✭
    Hi t-bird. Interesting points of view with both of you leaning towards the GJ's over the D's.

The Swing 42 is a very nice guitar and I might try to take you up on your offer but I think that's a Favino size (16-1/2), right?

If so, I'm trying to stick with the 15-1/2" guitars partly because I already have 2 travel-ready cases in that size, both a soft foam type and a Hiscox. That's why I mention in my ad that it doesn't matter to me if the guitar comes with a case.

If yours happens to be a 15-1/2" guitar for some reason (because I'm not an expert by far on all of these models), message me and we'll talk!

Thanks.