DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Picking on other guitars

I find it difficult to gypsy pick on other types of guitars: electric, Martin type acoustics, any one have this issue?

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Yes.

After too much practice with gypsy jazz, have found I've lost that 'light touch' required to play an electric well.

I admire the guys who can switch back and forth between both, and get a good sound on either, Andreas Oberg is a good example, and Olivier Kikteff. If you watch, they change the right hand technique completely.

Similar thing with flattop style acoustics, the guitar sounds like it's choking up and has been robbed of all its tone. I don't know it's possible to get a good sound on flattops or electrics with a gypsy technique. On some other instruments, it seems to works well .. like Oud, Shamisen. Flamenco guitars to some extent.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Andreas and olivier have always had an in between technique neither one or the other where they just have to make very slight adjustments for the situation.

The only few people i know to really be proficient at both is bireli and this guy ben travers who seems to have disappeared after getting married!
  • altonalton Keene, NH✭✭ 2000 Dell'Arte Long Scale Anouman, Gadjo Modele Francais, Gitane DG-330 John Jorgensen Tuxedo
    I do find it difficult to do it on other kinds of guitars. For me, it's partially a string spacing issue. The only gypsy jazz guitar I have ever owned is a gitane DG 330 and the wider spacing I find to be great for rest stroke picking. All other guitars feel so narrow. The other major issue for me is the tone of a flattop. Nowadays they just seem so damn bassy.
    On electric I find one thing that works to my advantage in trying to turn the "gypsy picking switch" off is dialing in a good amp tone, and then letting the amp do the work. After getting warmed up, I'll start picking lighter and while I have lost a lot of my speed and skill at good alternate picking, I am at least not striking the string with the force that I would on a gypsy guitar.
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    "gypsy" picking on other guitars isn't a problem if the "other" guitars are set up for it. I've spent a lot of time playing Telecasters with 3.5 mm picks and plenty of rest strokes . Its not a problem for me. I can transition between several different pick stroke/ styles in the course of one set. Different song,different stroke, different sound, no problem. Its a good Idea for someone who is serious about their guitar playing to have several different picking styles in their repertoire . They all have their strengths and weaknesses and their place in the world of the guitar. Take your time and practice and follow your ears. Practice slow. Use your brain as well as your body and the skills will develop naturally and gradually. Be patient .
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016 Posts: 867
    No issue here. As not to disturb my wife I often practice on an electric. I think it's just a matter of keeping up your electric playing (of course there is only so much time in a day). I find if I don't touch my electric for awhile that's when I start having problems. I will use a 2mm pick on electric and a 3.5 when going back to Gypsy.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 4,730
    I don't really think about it and I don't feel a transition if I play electric, I think a guitar and a style of music dictates my picking style. Although I'm sure I do a lot more rest stroke and a down stroke on a new string when we play electric but I feel that made my picking cleaner so I welcome it.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel