DjangoBooks.com

Adrien's rhythm

wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
edited April 2016 in Welcome Posts: 1,454
Here you can watch some nice simple rhythm playing and without the distraction of multiple guitars, you can hear it all fairly clearly. And also the camera angle is good to see Adrien's technique. We also don't see William Brunard playing slap much, so that's kinda fun. I don't know who the pianist is in this trio, but he's cool too! Wish I was there ..

Bucoleeincanada

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Great playing indeed, but i dont think we hear his rhythm guitar too well, it's still drowned by everything else.

Without wanting to advertise my own crap, i did record him alone playing rhythm here:

Regarding william brunard, he's the best bass player i ever played with in this style of music. Technically, he does it all on the instrument which is quite rare for bass players... He can slap, he can pizz, he can play with bow, he has really good intonation, and he actually has a real jazzman's vocabulary. Since he's a guitarist, he knows the sound that fits the style the best for bass..

Most of all, however, he knows how to use technique to serve the music. He really plays for the music. He really adapts his bass playing to the song, to the player, to the event, etc... He might play Honeysuckle Rose in one way with one particular musician, and then another way with another... A true musician, in my opinion!
    Buco
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    Sounds like Adrien brushes the strings a bit with his R hand.
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Thanks, both Wim and Dennis! Some good, interesting and inspiring things on this forum today and the past couple of days.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited April 2016 Posts: 3,319
    Nice vid, thanks Dennis! I really appreciate the segment that starts at around 1:40 which illustrates the right hand approach to the 1/3 vs. 2/4 beats that I like to 'strive' for in my 'standard' (if you want to call it that) rhythm.
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    Thanks Wim and Denis! I love Adrien's "old Django rhythm" in Denis' video - that swings like crazy for me. Just like my favourite Hot Club rhythm moments. Also, how awesome is William's slap playing in that first video? How I wish all bass players could and would play in that style, but most either can't or don't seem to want to. Sounds so great! Thanks again guys!