DjangoBooks.com

DjangoFest Mill Valley; June 10-12, 2016

jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
in North America Posts: 705
Just bought my ticket for DjangoFest Mill Valley at the Throckmorton Theatre, Saturday, June 11, 2016 8:00PM. I'm going to the Saturday Concert featuring the Stochelo Rosenberg Quartet with Stochelo Rosenberg, Christiaan van Hemert, Brad Brose, and bassist Simon Planting.
It looks like Christiaan is doing a workshop Sat. 2:00pm "The van Hemert Jazz System for Guitar".
Christiaan van Hemert developed a unique gypsy jazz guitar improvisation system that enabled him to get to a high level of guitar playing in a short time. The so called “van Hemert system” will enable everyone to get to that level if they are willing to put in the necessary hours. In this workshop Christiaan will give a short overview of the system. All students will receive detailed PDFs with the system written down to review at home!

Comments

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    I am going Saturday. I have mixed feelings about learning a new system since I am involved in my own direction. It's probably great for most players though.
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    I have mixed feelings about Scoredog learning a new system too. I like what you are doing now!

I on the other hand wouldn't mind checking it out.
    Scoredog
  • mandocatmandocat Santa Rosa, CA✭✭✭ AJL XO, Eastman 905CE, PRS SE
    Everybody knows about old scoredogs and new tricks. Jonpowl thanks for keeping us posted on NorCal events. Having Stochelo headline is pretty awesome.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 867
    Hey I resemble that remark!

I'll still check out Christiaan's system just out of curiosity, probably there will be something to learn out of it as I know he has put a lot of thought into it.
  • HemertHemert Prodigy
    edited May 2016 Posts: 264
    Ha nice! Just to avoid any dissapointment: the full explanation of the system would take a few sessions with demonstrations, lots of details and a lot of playing stuff together of course. That I will do in DIJ. In Mill Valley there's only time for an overview. I will still make it worth your time though!
  • mandocatmandocat Santa Rosa, CA✭✭✭ AJL XO, Eastman 905CE, PRS SE
    Based on the YouTube instruction videos I'd say any class by Christiaan is worth the time and $$. Unfortunately this old dog will be trying to take down other old dogs in a disc golf tourney at Clear Lake that weekend. Will there be other means to learn your system Christiaan besides taking the class in person?
  • David LewisDavid Lewis San Francisco, California 2007/2008 Altamira M01D
    edited May 2016 Posts: 3
    Hi friends,

I was planning on purchasing my ticket for the festival and cannot find the option to purchase tickets for the workshops. Last time I purchased tickets they had a separate option for the shows & workshops. Am I missing something?? Any help would be much appreciated as I'm really looking forward to taking the workshops and enjoying the shows afterwards!

Thanks,
    David Lewis
  • David LewisDavid Lewis San Francisco, California 2007/2008 Altamira M01D
    Oops. Nevermind my last post. I just checked the Throckmorton Theatre's website today and I now see all the options! Great! :)
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Just checked the Djangofest Mill Valley workshop schedule and it looks like they have changed Christiaan's Van Hemert Jazz System workshop to a violin workshop. Messaged with Christiaan and it was a surprise to him, too. He suggested that perhaps there is a conflict with Robin Nolan's workshop. Of course, he was very polite about the situation, although I am disappointed.