DjangoBooks.com

How do you SAY it

kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
in Welcome Posts: 421
Okay - just for fun. Please Contribute the ones you know. I know I am a stupid mush mouth when it comes to most of these guys names and I can't be the only one :0)

Joscho - Yo - Show
Gonzalo - Gone - saw - low (the z is an s)
Olli Soikelli - Oly as in Holy, So-Kell- (e) which is barely pronounced

also for fun, with a slim bit of hopefullness:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/joshua-bell

Comments

• kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
    Some names I'd like to know how to pronounce -
    Is it Ae-drian or Aw-drian. Is it Sebast-chin or Sebas-tee-awn. How the heck do you say Les Doigts de whatever.
  • Stephane Wrembel - I say it Steve Rumble.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    A lot of these names aren't pronounceable with English phonetics. Stephane's name is hard to say unless you can do the French "R", same for Romain and Adrien and Bireli. The first "e" of Wrembel is about half way between saying "ah" & "aeh", and Sebastien is a difficult word for several reasons. Maybe Seh-Bah-Stee-en" would be close.

Stochelo is more like "Sh-toe Kel-oh"

Gonzalo's first syllable is a long "O" like "Go"

And Olli's last name - maybe: "Soy-Kelly" it would be fairly close. It's more like saying "So-E" very fast.

You could say "Luh-Dwah d'Lome" which is sort of close.

These guys have all traveled so much that they are used to answering to anything close. Look for native language interviews, and also get a translation app for your phone. Type in the word and listen to how the app says it, then try to say it accurately enough to where the app can accurately translate it into English.

You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
    Bob Holo - Bawb Hey-low
    Bob Holo - Bawb Hey-low

haha... "Hoe-Low", though supposedly back in the old country it was more like "Hue-Lah", but none of us have ever used that pronunciation.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • t-birdt-bird Portland, Oregon Castelluccia Nuages, Dupont Nomade
    edited August 2016 Posts: 119
    Bob Holo - Bawb Hey-low
    I think Chris and/or Brad said the guys in France say "Boe-Boe-Low."
    wimBob Holo
    Most of those names are pronounced phonetically, if you stick to that you'll be right more than wrong.
    But I gotta say I was stumped when I first realized the correct pronunciation of Stochelo, I didn't see that one.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Hi Boo-co. Some of them :0) But Joscho to yo-show, or the Les Doigts d-whatever are pretty hard. I'm not even entirely sure how to properly pronounce Lagrene. Joscho calls me are-run vwalk-errr - and I think that is perfectly correct for a German accent. I feel embarrassed sometimes having no clue how to say some of these names, and I can't be the only clueless mush mouth on here!
    Perhaps "Sh-toe-Kel-oh" is overstating it, but the S has some weight to it when Dutch people say it.

Ummm...
    It's boo-tso

Thanks for letting me clarify.
    Bob Holo
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel