DjangoBooks.com

Anyone heard of a 'La Manouche' brand of Gypsy Jazz guitars?

fourowlsfourowls Brisbane, Queensland, AustraliaNew Petrarca Grande Bouche
Hi to the wonderful GJ community
Just wondering, a guy here in Brisbane is seeking to sell this gumtree.com.au/s-ad/pacific-pines/guitars-amps/gypsy-jazz-guitar/1126156882 and the venerable Michael mentioned he has never heard of it, and you can get Chinese companies falsely advertising they manufacture in Paris when they actually don't. I am very suspicious but can't help but be curious about it though. Gypsy Jazz guitars here are so hard to find, and you have to ship them in usually!

Regards
Andrew H

Comments

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    Probably a Chinese brand, and if so it is worth $500 max for a learner. At the price they are asking you could get a decent guitar of known manufacture, with some pedigree and then at least if you later decide you don't get along it will have some resale value. There are many better guitars in Australia, and even allowing for shipping cost there is a wide choice on this site, or I have found it easy enough to import a few from France without any trouble.
  • fourowlsfourowls Brisbane, Queensland, AustraliaNew Petrarca Grande Bouche
    H
    Probably a Chinese brand, and if so it is worth $500 max for a learner. At the price they are asking you could get a decent guitar of known manufacture, with some pedigree and then at least if you later decide you don't get along it will have some resale value. There are many better guitars in Australia, and even allowing for shipping cost there is a wide choice on this site, or I have found it easy enough to import a few from France without any trouble.

Thanks Chris
    I will follow Michael's and your advice and stay well away, especially for $1500! The guy was really pushy and I might just let him know that he had be careful pushing a possible falsely advertised product! Anyway, you're right, I will stick to the more well known brands and at least know what I am getting, even if I can only afford about $1700 mark AUD!
    Have a great day fellow Aussie!
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    That definitely looks like a Chinese guitar, probably made by the Aeirsi factory. I had one imported last year and it cost me £220 including a semi hard case and shipping. It sounds ok, but just ok. I'd stay away from it as you suggested.
    always learning
    That definitely looks like a Chinese guitar, probably made by the Aeirsi factory. I had one imported last year and it cost me £220 including a semi hard case and shipping. It sounds ok, but just ok. I'd stay away from it as you suggested.
    Thanks mate and I have! I tried not to laugh when the seller texted me saying, "You had better hurry as I have quite a few people interested and it might be gone in a day's time..."...gee I love that line! I picked up a well priced Dell'arte Pigalle, and just need a Grande Bouche now to get me all rosy and happy!
  • JehuJehu New Zealand✭✭✭
    Stay well away indeed. I got a counterfeit Dupont from what I believe to be the same source. Not a terrible guitar in the end and I was able to recoup some money, but... careful with this one.
  • FransFrans The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
    Jehu wrote: »
    Stay well away indeed. I got a counterfeit Dupont from what I believe to be the same source. Not a terrible guitar in the end and I was able to recoup some money, but... careful with this one.

Thanks Jehu, and I have deleted that guitar. Don't even know if the guy has the ad up! Man I hate counterfeits...never heard of a counterfeit Dupont though?? Wow...amazing and saddening at the same time...
    Thanks everyone, I got a Dell'arte Pigalle PG-1 (early run model) and will look around for a nice grande bouche. This forum sure is a friendly and well-informed place, and appreciate everyone's kindness! Actually Gypsy Jazz seems to bring out good things in people!!
    The gentleman selling it has told me he got it off a Gyspy Jazz player in Europe who had it custom made. I asked where and by what luthier, or from what player but he couldn't answer them! He dropped the price from $1500 to half that immediately as he mentioned he had cash problems!! LOL....there is always someone!
  • JehuJehu New Zealand✭✭✭
    Sounds like a very similar story to my guy... and I think he has some family on the Gold Coast. Hmm...