DjangoBooks.com

Ouch! Some French don't appreciate GJ

AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
in Welcome Posts: 541
I stumbled across this article and used Google-Translate to find out that the writer has a low opinion of Jazz Manouche.

http://www.topito.com/top-raisons-detester-jazz-manouche
Bucowim

Comments

• edited December 2016 Posts: 4,730
    I could actually agree with him during the preface and number one, although at the same time is why I like it, but when I came to number two I stopped reading.
    Plus somebody should inform this guy that people make a living and a life long career out of being Elvis look-alikes.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • spudspud paris, france✭✭✭✭
    Its not written to be taken seriously...anyhow even in france its a marginal style.
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    edited December 2016 Posts: 959
    I am not familiar with the writer or this website but it is obviously only a joke. Maybe some of it gets a bit lost in translation, but for the most part I found it funny.
    Background music as welcome as a bowl of peanuts in a bar? We have all been there. Applauding each solo as if they were athletic achievements? Yep, that happens too.
    But he then claims barre chords are not allowed in GJ only because Django didn’t (couldn't) use them, and compares it to pianists not being allowed to look at their fingers because Stevie Wonder doesn’t and it is forbidden to make a rock album after the age of 27.
    Would you rather listen to two old folks trying to outdo each other to see who could pick faster or spend an hour in the dentist's chair? Probably most would rather suffer the former but it can be painful without the anaesthetic.
    The remark at 10 ? Well I am guilty there. I bought a Thomas Dutronc CD once and I think I have played it twice, but I will listen to Django daily.

So, not to be taken seriously!
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    The thread could also be titled "Ouch! Some Americans don't appreciate French humor"
    Jon
    Ah, guilty. I thought the title was funny when I read "detest" in it but stopped reading when he wrote about how could you take seriously the guy that played with two fingers. Could be funny, I guess...
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    It came off as very snarky to me. You think the author is a fan of jazz manouche? He sure fooled me.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    I don't know the author, but I would bet my bottom Euro they're a fan and probably even a player!
    That did cross my mind as I was scanning through the rest of the article how it would be funny if the guy was a prominent player from the Paris scene.
    My excuse is that my toddler is keeping me sleep deprived so I'm even slower than usual. Perhaps slightly cranky too.
  • cbwimcbwim ✭✭✭
    Am not so sure this article is in jest. If it isn't its apparent the author hasn't listened to much of Django, nor any of the slower stuff played by our contemporaries. Its not all fast and its certainly not all a rehash of the Hot Club of France. The really fast stuff is to me sometimes "too many notes" (to quote a line from the movie Amadeus) and perhaps that is what the author is reacting to. But he should get out more...
    AndrewUllepickitjohn