DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Jazz Jam in Los Angeles Area

SteveGypsyJazzSteveGypsyJazz Sherman Oaks✭✭
edited January 2013 in North America Posts: 22
Hi,

I'm looking to get an intermediate players jam together in the Los Angeles area. I live in Sherman Oaks. Probably studio city or Hollywood. Anybody up for it, send me a message and I'll start looking for a suitable location.

Thanks

Steve
papajoe

Comments

• adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Hey Steve,

You should get in touch with the Gonzalo Bergara Quartet -- http://gonzalobergara.com/ -- if you haven't already. They're in Los Angeles and (if I remember correctly) have hosted jam sessions before.

Adrian
  • seeirwinseeirwin ✭✭✭ AJL J'attendrai | AJL Orchestra
    Gonzalo hosts a jam at Joe's All American Grill in Burbank on the last Monday of every month. Here's the website: http://joesgreatbar.com/

The next one is this Monday night, but I think those guys might be out of town, so you should double check.
    dellartehommage2005
  • SteveGypsyJazzSteveGypsyJazz Sherman Oaks✭✭
    i guess the key word here is: Intermediate (skill wise)
  • seeirwinseeirwin ✭✭✭ AJL J'attendrai | AJL Orchestra
    Gonzalo and his band are super friendly and totally welcoming. You can do what I usually do, and just play rhythm and pass the solos until you get comfortable. They're such great guys, though, that it shouldn't take long before you're willing to drop in a chorus or two.

I live in Long Beach, but am definitely interested if you get something set up. Keep us posted!
  • BadummBadumm New
    Hi,

I know this discussion is a little older. I just wanted to know if there are any news regarding this topic. I also just moved to LA, played Gypsy Jazz for about 8 years now back in Europe. Do you see any possibilities for an upright bass player near SFV / Hollywood / Santa Monica?

Thanks,
    Felix
  • arjrarjr ✭✭✭
    I host some jams in the LA area from time to time.
    PM me for details.

Best
    Angelo
  • papajoepapajoe Westlake Village CANew Stringphonic
    edited December 2016 Posts: 11
    I know this gypsy jazz jam post is a few years old. But I'm a long-long-time rock and blues player who's has been studying and playing jazz manouche for the last year. Took workshops, read books, learned songs, watched video, and practiced, practiced, practiced. You know, all the stuff you need to to do to learn something new. But I definitely need some like-minded souls to jam with. I'm willing to travel if you're hosting a jam or you can travel to me to start one up. I live around Thousand Oaks, a bit far but gypsy jazz is worth traveling for. Get in touch if you're interested.
    alex04
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    I think Gonzalo is not living in LA anymore, but I could be wrong.

Brad Brose is now living in Paris as a gypsy jazz ambassador - in a few years they will all be picking Django on the banjo again. L.A. got Jeremiah Levi in return.

There's now a really cooking scene in Long Beach. If you hear about any gigs for a band called Hedgehog Swing, go to sniff that out. Lots of these guys go to Django in June, look up Gage Hulsey, Luca Pino, Ray Bergstrom, Jeff Radaitch, Kale Stiles, Christi Lao.. nice scene and super friendly & fun people there!
    papajoe
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    Gonzalo pops in now and then but is no longer residing in LA.
  • papajoepapajoe Westlake Village CANew Stringphonic
    edited December 2016 Posts: 11
    I only know of Scoredog's great band The Idiomatiques and Jeffrey Ross in the Hot Club of LA. Jeff Radich's Black Market Trust play around but I'll have to check out Hedgehog Swing. Still looking to find some intermediate to advanced folks to get together with on a semi-regular basis