DjangoBooks.com

First GJ Guitar Dell Art RN1 or Cigano GJ15?

Hi everyone
First post here. I'm looking at buying my first GJ guitar. Slim pickings here in Oz but I've found a couple of guitars in my price range, both in good condition. A cigano Gj15 and an early run Robin Nolan Delle Arte. The RN1 is around $180 aus more than the GJ15. I can't physically play either guitar but they come from a very reputable dealer whom I've dealt with before. Can I get some help/advice on which to go for?
Thanks guys

Comments

• johnmarkjohnmark Pensacola, FLNew
    I have a GJ15 and I love it. I've played more expensive Gitane models and the GJ15 still feels and plays better in my experience. Every advanced GJ player who picks up my guitar is always left very surprised and incredibly impressed. I just installed an LR Baggs Anthem and it sounds amazing plugged into an amp with my loop pedal.
  • Zouny1Zouny1 Sydney Australia New
    Thanks Johnmark. I've heard nothing but positive revues about the gj15. I know I won't be disappointed if I grab this guitar. But the delle arte Robin Nolan has been heavily discounted here by almost half and I'm hoping to find if and how much better it is than the GJ15 and is it worth the extra coin. Thanks again for the helpful reply :)
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    edited April 2017 Posts: 476
    Zouny1: Can't tell you which to buy, but can tell you that the two you've mentioned are completely different animals.
    The Del Arte Nolan 1 has a wider 1 13/16" than average neck for an oval guitar. The GJ 15 is even wider than that at 1 15/16".
    The neck on the 15 connects at the 12th fret and is an 1 1/4" shorter than the Arte.
    The Arte will be very bright even in the low end. The 15 will be bright on the high end and loud but more muted on the low end.

I can't recommend either. Both are great in their own way. Tonally they are about as night and day as you can get in these guitars.
    The Arte will sound more like Django and would be considered a lead guitar. The 15 will be a more all around guitar (many styles) but still very much in the Gj sound range.
    Either will fit the bill. But if your dying to learn and play lead, you'll appreciate the 14 fret neck join and bright sound on the Arte because you can play further up the neck. If you want to play many styles, I'd go with the the Cigano.

To me none of that stuff about width and length matters. I play both kinds an only play wider necks, but you should just be aware. The shorter necked Cigano also means a shorter distance that your left hand is reaching, and if your just starting guitar that's a nice thing, keeping your left shoulder from working hard.
    Either one of those two could make you a happy guy. I just posted in case these issues of neck sizes were important.
    Sounds like your just starting out. Have fun! You won't go wrong either way. But either sight down the necks (are they straight?) yourself or have your dealer do this, and check also the ease of play. Maybe just buying the one that's set up better is the tipping point.
    Zouny1BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsAndrewUlle
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
  • Zouny1Zouny1 Sydney Australia New
    Thanks Jeff, very helpful
    Keeping everything you said in mind, I'm a beginner at this style but quite accomplished in guitar. I've been playing for over 30 years at least half of that dedicated to acoustic. By what you've told me it sounds like the RN 1 I would be the way to go. I know GJ and other styles are different, but seeing as ive been playing lead a long time, it sounds like I would outgrow the GJ15 a lot sooner than the RN1?
    AndrewUlle
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    That sounds right. You'll certainly get that single note singing sound out of a Favino style guitar all across the neck.
    Zouny1
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 4,730
    I think Jeff's answer tells you all.
    I'd only add if you play even semi professionally and will do lead stuff then it's more that you really don't want entry level 12 fret guitar.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    edited April 2017 Posts: 541
    I played a Cigano 12-fret D-hole side-by-side with a similar Dell Arte at Elderly Instruments; the difference was night and day. The Cigano didn't even compare; I put it back after 3-4 minutes. It was lifeless, woody, and sounded almost like a flat top. But I have heard that Ciganos are notoriously uneven in quality; some are dogs (as was the one I tried), and some are not bad.