DjangoBooks.com

For Sale: 2015 Petite Bouche Rino van Hooijdonk NR25

MattHenryMattHenry Washington, DC✭✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in Classifieds Posts: 131
I'm selling Rino NR25, a Selmer replica with european spruce top, laminated walnut back and sides, double action truss rod, static pick guard, Schaller deluxe enclosed tuners, and custom RvH tailpiece.

Price is $2800 PayPal gift (or $2884 goods/services) plus actual shipping to CONUS only. Includes original hardshell case (I didn't think to take pix of the case but I can add them).

It's a great playable guitar but I have another Rino and since I installed an Ischell on that one this one doesn't get played enough to justify me having two.

Rino makes some of the best sounding traditional Selmer replica guitars and 25 is one of his most powerful with a big, full sound and tons of projections. I bought this guitar new at Django In June in 2015. I chose it from five guitars Rino brought that year. It has the best tone for lead and was the loudest of the five (probably tied with the D-hole resonator model). It also has a pale, distressed top finish that is very distinctive. The walnut veneer used for the back looks a little kludgy at the top and bottom. I tried to show the less refined parts of the body assembly in the photo. Both the neck and body of the guitar are completely stable and have never had any problems. Craig Bumgarner and Rino have explained to me that the hairline crack shown at the top of the back is just the veneer and not a structural thing that requires any repair because the laminate back is not cracked or affected. It was like that when I bought it and hasn't changed in any way in the two years since.

I had Craig do a complete refret to get the action lower using the same fat fret wire he uses on his CB guitars. Craig also reshaped the neck to more of a traditional Selmer profile. The new fret job has the guitar playing comfortably with low action. I think I keep it between 1.8 and 2.5mm using the included shims in the winter. Oh and speaking of winter, I live in DC and keep my guitars in the bedroom with a humidifier running in the colder, dryer months.

I'm visiting family until Friday but I'll try to post a video soon to go with the pix below.

Send me a message if you want to buy it and I'll give you my PayPal email address.

Thanks!

-Matt Henry

6hqxrim3t1by.jpg
yaabbd55oiov.jpg
2cvhits97tia.jpg
vadoe123nv0h.jpg
03zg474enovw.jpg
z9rlqfuo1r7u.jpg
t1j6byis9kky.jpg
28rfrg8uhv0b.jpg

Craig Bumgarnerwim

Comments

• Played this guitar many times before. This is the guitar to buy if you want a vintage Selmer-Style look, fantastic playability, sound, and it was built by one of the best luthiers in the world! AMAZING price for this kind of guitar.
    Craig BumgarnerMattHenry
    I had the chance to play this one too.
    Rino does make guitars with some serious mojo.
    This guitar sounds big, pretty Selmer like in character. The neck and playability felt great too.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Matt, are you really sure about selling this one? If it were me, I wouldn't!

I don't know if I've heard Rino play this particular guitar, but man! His guitars which I have heard at DiJ sound like a million bucks!

Will

PS And in my humble opinion, your price is probably a bit low as well... somebody's gonna get a bargoon!
    MattHenry
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
    I was thinking that too. Once it's sold it'll be like " I wish I didn't"...
    MattHenry
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • NejcNejc Slovenia✭✭ Altamira M01
    I honestly thought this guitar was atleast 60 years old.
    MattHenry
    I played this guitar at DIJ 2015 when it was originally for sale. It was easily the loudest guitar in most jam sessions. I got to play it again a year later after the fret/neck work and it became not only a loud guitar but easy to play w/ better intonation. If I didn't spend so much money on carry out I'd probably have enough money to buy a second guitar like this.
    altonMattHenryBillDaCostaWilliams
  • MattHenryMattHenry Washington, DC✭✭✭✭
    Matt, are you really sure about selling this one? If it were me, I wouldn't!

I don't know if I've heard Rino play this particular guitar, but man! His guitars which I have heard at DiJ sound like a million bucks!

Will

PS And in my humble opinion, your price is probably a bit low as well... somebody's gonna get a bargoon!

Thanks Will! I'm having second thoughts for sure. =) I keep telling myself that I have another Rino and it's going to be fine but of course guitars are all unique aren't they?

And yeah, it's priced to move and I do think somebody's going to make out really well. Rino's guitars have such a big, strong Selmer voice and this one is special since the fretwork from Craig has it playing so well. Hopefully I won't miss it too much.

Added a few porch videos. Excuse the sounds of the city.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Nice guitar. Will you bring it to DIJ, if it's not sold already?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 131
    Wim Glenn wrote: »
    Nice guitar. Will you bring it to DIJ, if it's not sold already?

Yes! The notion is to either sell it in advance with the option to deliver at DIJ or sell it at DIJ so folks who've inquired can try it out first.