DjangoBooks.com

Epiphone Triumph Archtop for sale SOLD

MarkAMarkA Vermont✭✭✭ Holo Epiphany, Gibson L-5
edited June 2017 in Classifieds Posts: 108
I am selling a beautiful 1953 Epiphone Triumph Regent, Big body (17 3/8 inch lower bout) carved spruce top, carved maple back, their carved top cutaway guitars are fairly rare. This one is quite clean, has the original Lifton hard shell case, and has an excellent sound. Has nickel roundwounds on it right now, gives a somewhat brighter sound, lots of volume and cuts through. Priced at $2500 and can ship within US at cost, also have a DeArmond pickup available. PM if interested, thanks for looking.
Buco

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    A great many people do not realize that Epiphone was not always Gibson's budget brand. They were in fact Gibson's biggest rival in guitars in the 30s and 40s. A lot of people (myself included) consider the Epiphones of that era to be at least equal to, if not better than, the comparable Gibsons. The company fell on hard times in the 40s due to a perfect storm: wartime privations; changing public tastes; and worst of all, the death of Epaminondas Stathopoulo (Epi), which put the company into the hands of his brothers, who combined did not have half his business acumen.

Gibson bought the company in the 50s mainly to acquire its line of acoustic basses and discovered a warehouse full of unfinished guitars. These were assembled and sold under the Epiphone name (now known as "Gibson Epiphones"), and the name later became Gibson's budget label, with production eventually moving to Asia. A rather sad finish to an illustrious brand.

"The House of Stathopoulo" by Jim Fisch is an excellent history of the Epiphone Company.

I own a wonderful 1946 Epiphone Triumph, similar to the Gibson L7. Mark's guitar would be well worth a look by any archtop fan.
    BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsMarkA
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    I agree. A lot of vintage Epiphone guitars are the last good deal left, comparably undervalued​ next to Gibson. Same thing in the flat top acoustic compared to Martin.
    I wish...
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • mcgroup53mcgroup53 Bloomington, IN USA✭✭✭✭ 1951 Ep Broadway
    I'll second Benny and Buco, here. I own a 1951 blond Epiphone Broadway, their version of an L-7 in the Gibson line up. Huge voice, rhythm thunder for sure on those big barking Freddie Green-style power swing chords. FYI, I am selling a new Epiphone De Luxe Masterbilt archtop, 17" with a solid (pressed, not carved) top. Excellent sound and playability. With the De Luxe HSC, shipped for $650 now
  • MarkAMarkA Vermont✭✭✭ Holo Epiphany, Gibson L-5
    Here are some photos of the Epiphone and the DeArmond.

• MarkAMarkA Vermont✭✭✭ Holo Epiphany, Gibson L-5
    edited June 2017 Posts: 108
    Price is now $2500