DjangoBooks.com

WTB: Gitane DG310 Lulo, Altamira, Patenotte, or another around $600 (update: purchased a DG-310)

McQMcQ Fayetteville, ARNew
edited June 2017 in Classifieds Posts: 75
Hi all,

A few years back I bought a Gitane DG300 Jorgenson model from Josh here, and it sounded amazing. However, I didn't get along with the neck profile and long story short ended up selling it and going a different direction musically. I'm getting back into playing Gypsy Jazz now and am in the market for a guitar. I recall playing a Gitane DG310 Lulo Reinhardt model and liked the neck profile, so if anyone out there has one they'd like to sell, then feel free to send me a message here.

I'm also open to other options for around $600, maybe an Altamira with the more recent C shaped neck profile, maybe a Patenotte. I absolutely love the design of the model 260. For the right guitar I might be able to stretch my budget.

I'm in the process of selling some gear so I should have around that much to put towards something. I recently acquired an Eastman AR800e oval hole archtop with pickup and I think I'm going to sell it, as good as it sounds.

Thanks!
Brian

Comments

• constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    Look into dg330. Theres one on reverb.com
  • McQMcQ Fayetteville, ARNew
    Thanks for the heads up! I am pretty active on there and didn't see a 330 model. However, having grown up playing an all black acoustic I find myself avoiding them these days.

There is a 310 model but for local pickup only. Interestingly, the description states that the guitar is signed by Lulo Reinhardt. Unfortunately, there's only one pic. I've sent a message to learn more.

Still looking!
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 4,730
    I don't know about the neck profile but there's a Paris Swing for $500 in the classifieds, in NY.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Thanks--the Craigslist ad has been deleted.

I also posted a thread to the forum about guitar choice that will hopefully help me narrow things down.

That Eastman AR800e oval hole archtop I acquired is a very good guitar, but I'm having trouble adapting my right hand to the floating finger rest for Gypsy picking technique on it. And without the finger rest there's no way to brush the top for a light right hand reference, which means I fall back on resting my hand on the bridge as if I'm playing electric. I probably also overspent on the Eastman a bit, so I'm going to sell it and get a Gypsy guitar that I should have bought in the first place. :)
    Buco
  • altonalton Keene, NH✭✭ 2000 Dell'Arte Long Scale Anouman, Gadjo Modele Francais, Gitane DG-330 John Jorgensen Tuxedo
    McQ wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up! I am pretty active on there and didn't see a 330 model. However, having grown up playing an all black acoustic I find myself avoiding them these days.

There is a 310 model but for local pickup only. Interestingly, the description states that the guitar is signed by Lulo Reinhardt. Unfortunately, there's only one pic. I've sent a message to learn more.

Still looking!

Welcome back to GJ!

Judging by your other thread about the tone of the newer DG-300, I think that you are wise to stay away from the DG-330 (even if it is only because of the color!).

I own one. While it's​ very well made guitar for the price that I paid for it, it REALLY lacks the dry bark and volume that you will want for this music. Mine is from 2009 and has what is maybe the most neck angle that I have seen on a non-archtop. However it is coated with a thick bullet proof later of lacquer that definitely quiets the guitar down.

I've played Altamiras that sell used in the same price range and they definitely have more mojo. I almost bought one before my newest guitar just kinda fell into my lap.

McQ
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    edited June 2017 Posts: 485
    Honestly you should stretch for an Altamira Oval Hole, you'd be set for a long time where there are tradeoffs IMO with Gitane, Paris Swing and Patenottes. One other option - Eko Gypsy, remarkable for the money

Thanks- Dean
    McQ
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah I tried GJ on an archtop for a while. The pick guard was in the way for me so I took it off and since the guitar top is so far from the strings ended up using a totally free right hand technique which didn't really matter for rhythm obviously but for solo it took some getting used to.
    McQ
    Bones wrote: »
    Yeah I tried GJ on an archtop for a while. The pick guard was in the way for me so I took it off and since the guitar top is so far from the strings ended up using a totally free right hand technique which didn't really matter for rhythm obviously but for solo it took some getting used to.

You've stated it perfectly!
    edited June 2017 Posts: 75
    I've got a message sent to a seller about a Gitane DG-310 with hard case that comes with stock bridge, a Dupont bridge that's currently fitted, as well as another luthier made bridge. It also already has the leather under the tailpiece, and a K&K Pure Maccaferri Pickup installed. $750 shipped.

Seems like a good price to me, and I'm just waiting to hear back about fret condition and history of setup work. I also asked about the action at 12th and the bridge height. Hopefully that will give me an idea about the neck angle/top arch.
    Buco