DjangoBooks.com

need advice for buying a guitar

hello,
i have decided to buy a gypsy jazz guitar. i have read a lot in this forum and in the hotclub forum about guitars, but i still couldn't decide which one to buy.
i could spent at the most 1500 dollars. i heard that gitane guitars are relatively good for beginners, but i would like a handmade guitar.

unfortunately in my place (italy) i couldn't find any gypsy guitars, so i think i have to buy one from the internet.

which handmade guitars can you recommend?
i have found a dupont md nomade for 1500 dollars as well as an alves de puga for about the same price. are they remarkably better then gitane guitars? how are fontaine guitars?

or is it better to stay with factory build guitars at this price class? maybe a manouche?

what do you think about these guitars? http://cgi.ebay.fr/guitare-jazz-manouch ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.fr/GYPSY-JAZZ-GUITAR-HA ... dZViewItem

thank you very much,

fritz

:D

Comments

• fritzfritz New
    i have decided now to buy a manouche modele jazz guitar :D

regards,

fritz
  • DuozonaDuozona Phoenix, AZNew
    Fritz

be sure and ket us know how it is. The Moreno modele looks interesting, did you order that one?

Chuck
  • fritzfritz New
    yes, this one :wink:
    i haven't ordered it yet. i have asked the shop's seller a few things; hopefully, when everything is ok, i'll order it tomorrow.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Good luck.

If it doesn't work out, I could heartily recommend a Gitane John Jorgenson model in that price range.

I have a Gitane, a Dell Arte, and a Park. They're all fine guitars - they're quite different. The Gitane is big and brash - has more bass than it should but can hold its own in a crowd of guitars and because its voice is not "cutting" it can be played loudly in a group of guitarists. The Dell Arte's voice is quieter but very dry and satisfyingly "banjo-like" which causes some people to love it and some to dislike it. It is fantastic with a microphone and/or playing solo, but it gets run-over by "big-voice" guitars when playing in large groups. The Park has an authentic voice that is loud as he**. It projects so well that I find myself playing softly even when I'm in a big group of folks because it has so much volume and also has a very cutting Django-edge. It is ideal for busking or for playing in trios / quartets where each player has his own part to carry and must put out considerable volume. Though each guitar is unique - I've played several Gitane John Jorgensons and I would classify them as being somewhere between my Gitane and my Park. They have a pretty darned authentic voice and a pretty darned loud voice. I love them. Of all the sub-$2,000 GJ guitars I've played - I like them the best. The worst one of the several I've played was still a good guitar. The best of the pack (owned by my friend Hyung) is a BEAST of a guitar in every way - tone - voice - that guitar has it all.

I've heard good things about the Manouche. Let us know if you get it and how you like it.

-Bob
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    I own both the guitars and, even if I'm really
    in love with the DG 300, IMO the Manouche sound is just amazing and justifies the price difference.