DjangoBooks.com

Tailpiece/Bridge Suggestions for a GJ-10?

I just purchased a Cigano GJ-10(it's a used 2014)after using my Aria mm-10 for about a year. I am pretty happy with it. Definitely louder and plays better. However, it's a little boomy and lacks some of the focus the Aria has. When I got the Aria, I removed a lot of mass and hollowed out the bridge but I don't feel like I should be so quick to start hacking away at this one. I'm wondering if switching out the bridge right away would be beneficial or are the Saga bridges ok?
The Tailpiece is the only major drawback to this guitar. It looks like it will snap off any second. Is there anyone making bridges besides Dupont? I like the Idea of a Dupont bridge but I can't afford what it would cost to get one in Canada right now. Does anyone make a tailpiece that falls somewhere between a Saga and a Dupont?

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    @Joshl-m Generally most people are upgrading to the Dupont bridges as they're the lightest and are carved from the highest quality wood. The Gitane bridges are quite a bit heavier and the quality of the wood is subpar resulting in significant dampening of the tone and volume of the instrument.

Many customers have upgraded to the basic Dupont tailpieces which are super strong (I've never seen one break whereas the Saga and Asian made DR snap off all the time) and they sound much better as well as they petty eliminate annoying overtone ringing: http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/dupont-gold-tailpiece
  • Joshl-mJoshl-m New
    Thanks Michael! When you say the 'Basic Dupont Tailpiece', are you referring to the solid brass and nickel tailpieces without the ebony inserts? Tonally, how do those tailpieces differ from one with an insert?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Joshl-m wrote: »
    Thanks Michael! When you say the 'Basic Dupont Tailpiece', are you referring to the solid brass and nickel tailpieces without the ebony inserts?

Yes, this one: http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/dupont-gold-tailpiece
    Tonally, how do those tailpieces differ from one with an insert?

I don't notice any difference in sound or structural integrity. The difference is mostly cosmetic.
  • Joshl-mJoshl-m New
    Thanks again! That actually helps a lot.
    MichaelHorowitz
  • TDogTDog Victoria, BCNew Shelley Park Montmartre; Cigano GJ 5
    I bought a DuPont bridge and the cheaper DuPont tailpiece for my Gitane earlier this year and have been really happy with the improvement in tone. Also had no issues shipping to Canada (I'm in Victoria)
    Joshl-mMichaelHorowitz