DjangoBooks.com

Django Inedits - Guitare Solo - Is it available on CD or MP3?

ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
I have an old 7" EP on the HMV label of Django titled 'Inedits' (which just translates as unreleased) from the early '60s. It has Improvisation sur le thème de "Belleville" on one side and Improvisation sur le thème de "Nuages" on the other. The former times at 5.30 and the latter at 6.20. In fact if you play Nuages first and then turn it over it sounds like it might have been recorded in one take which was then cut to make the two sides. I have a turntable that can record vinyl as digital on the computer but the record has a few clicks and noises so I wondered if anyone knows if this is available on any CD or MP3 file? Does the Integrale set have everything he recorded on it, or just the regular catalogue? As I say, this was titled "Unreleased" ten years after Django passed.

Comments

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    By the way, Delaunay's discography mentions a solo recording of Belleville and Nuages with the Pathé catalogue # C 054 16018 recorded in Paris in 1950 or '51 supposedly a film soundtrack. I guess this is the same recording. Anyone know what film that might have been?
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    By the way, Delaunay's discography mentions a solo recording of Belleville and Nuages with the Pathé catalogue # C 054 16018 recorded in Paris in 1950 or '51 supposedly a film soundtrack. I guess this is the same recording. Anyone know what film that might have been?

They were recorded for "Rivages de Paris" which is an incredibly boring film except for Django's soundtrack. The movie still exists and you could almost believe Django improvised to suit what was happening on screen. Here are a couple of stills from the film.
    Bucowim
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    YEs it is in Integrale Fremeaux, CD 19. You can check online and most of the booklets are also available online
    https://www.fremeaux.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.livrets&content_id=6433&product_id=314&category_id=57
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    PapsPier wrote: »
    YEs it is in Integrale Fremeaux, CD 19. You can check online and most of the booklets are also available online
    https://www.fremeaux.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.livrets&content_id=6433&product_id=314&category_id=57
    Great thanks. I guess I really need the whole set, but I may start with Season 3 and work back from there.
    And thanks Teddy, I did not know the name of the film, according to the notes on the Intégrale set, the film was "never finished"? Either way we probably did not miss much but thankfully the recordings survived.

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I transcribed Nuages and some of the other parts from Django’s solo, rhapsodic 1951 recording. The transcriptions along with the complete 14min recording appear in the Unaccomompanied Django book. It’s an amazing recording and was very difficult to find when I transcribed it almost 20 years ago. That recording reveals a lot about the depth of Django’s musicality....he was so much more than just a flashy guitar player.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    And thanks Teddy, I did not know the name of the film, according to the notes on the Intégrale set, the film was "never finished"? Either way we probably did not miss much but thankfully the recordings survived.

As I said, a copy of the film does exist and it looks complete although whether it was felt to be ready for release, I am not sure. Sadly Django does not appear in it. The closest we get is his name in the credits (see attached still). However, for some reason or other we do get to see Suzy Solidor accompanied by an accordionist belting out a tune at the end - a treat I would have been quite happy to have missed!!

Another irritation is a sharp voiced commentator talking over Django's music.
    That recording reveals a lot about the depth of Django’s musicality....he was so much more than just a flashy guitar player.

So true!!