DjangoBooks.com

A GJ Guitar on Rondo Music?? $200!!!

http://www.rondomusic.com/GPDEN.HTML

That’s right folks, Hadean GPDEN $200, just showed up on Rondo Music. This took me by surprise. But anyone who knows about Rondo Music knows that you don’t reflexively reject their guitars just because the prices are absurd.

You hear about a couple duds models but many guitars are considered the best bang for your buck guitars ever (like their offset model, which I got for $140 and looks and sounds amazing—multiple sources essentially said it’s better than anything below $600—no need to upgrade anything, or their strat models.)

A google search finds zero customer reactions on this particular D-hole model. Rondo’s selection is random and changes a lot. They may not have had this in stock for years. And it may disappear for ages when it sells out.

I’m not exactly saying I want to be the guinea pig, but you really never know. I wouldn’t scoff honestly. None of their stuff looks like shit, at least.

If you have no more than $200 and are OBSESSED with getting a GJ guitar (unlikely, I know, in this community ;) ), I for one might take a chance. You could always see a GJ tech and see if you could upgrade it like Michael does with Ciganos.

Rondo is pretty amazing for the super budget customer. Not all of us snort at anything less than $1000. I mean, do you even deserve Excalibur if you don’t know how to slay a dragon yet?? Hehe :)
Buco

Comments

• TydidesTydides
    They also just put up a very attractive full size jazz box (natural finish) for $200. Looks great. And may well be better than a low end Ibanez Artcore (which are also pretty good). Goddamit guitars are an addiction. I want to buy this stuff just to look at it like a painting!

http://www.rondomusic.com/JZ33NA.HTML
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    Interesting that the "mustache bridge" is a one-piece bridge, not a separate floating center bridge plus two moustache ends that are glued down. I think we are all addicted enough to drop $200 out of curiosity. The 5 pounds weightmakes me think it may be overbuilt...
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    If I was in the States I'd definitely try one but with the Dollar/Sterling rate and import duty as it is it's a no no. I have to say I quite like the look of it, certainly looks better than the Aieirsi which I imported a couple of years ago, It doesn't appear to have the truss rod adjusting from the headstock which I don't like, the tailpiece doesn't look bad and I'd happily swap the bridges for another with separate moustache ends.
    always learning
  • TydidesTydides
    Interesting that the "mustache bridge" is a one-piece bridge, not a separate floating center bridge plus two moustache ends that are glued down. I think we are all addicted enough to drop $200 out of curiosity. The 5 pounds weightmakes me think it may be overbuilt...

Hmmm, could the one piece bridge mean that the top is not bent into a slight arch?

What does it mean when a guitar is overbuilt?
    Tydides wrote: »
    What does it mean when a guitar is overbuilt?

Either the top is too thick and/or the bracing too heavy, which characterize a lot of cheaper guitars. A factory-made guitar leaves no room for variation of wood, so they often err on the side of over-building to prevent collapse of the top, at the cost of damping the vibrations in possibly unpleasant ways.

An extra pound of heavy lacquer finish doesn't help either. But who knows - it may be surprisingly good!
    Tydides wrote: »
    Hmmm, could the one piece bridge mean that the top is not bent into a slight arch?

A one-piece bridge was used on some Patenottes. (You can search through the forum to find a discussion on one player's experiences switching out the bridge on a Patenotte) Maybe the idea is to spread out the force on the top to a larger area. Depending on the design of the bracing underneath, that type of bridge *may* be the best.
  • TydidesTydides
    Well, that went out of stock instantly.

They are weird about stocking based on popularity. Some stuff sells out right away and they don’t restock it forever. Metal guitars and les Paul copies (two types I wouldn’t be caught dead in a ditch with…), however, they have roughly 18,000 versions and colors of. Go figure. And they have weird stuff like 8 string multi scale fretboard acoustics. Who the hell plays those??
    AndrewUlle