DjangoBooks.com

Cello Bass

cbwimcbwim ✭✭✭
in Bass Posts: 190
Am having fin converting a cheap $225 Chinese-made cello (solid wood amazingly - just plain looking) to a mini bass. Am waiting for the tuning pins a friend sent to arrive for the final iteration. The holes will be re-reamed, then the pegs fitted. Am using medium weight smooth wound Electric Bass Guitar strings with the bottom string either a .105 or .125 depending upon the sound and tension. A little bit of increasing the notches in the bridge and nut as necessary for the increased string diameters. Same for the tailpiece and pins where the strings anchor. It may not be as loud as a 5/8 or 3/4 bass but that is what amplification is for. Given my arthritic knees I am happy to play it sitting down - though I plan to put a longer and more robust end pin in this eventually. The nicest thing about it is its light weight and portability.

The electric guitar strings have about the same tension as cello strings so I am told. It will be tunes to the standard tuning in 4ths with the top being a G. Already in its preliminary set up I am having a blast with it.
AndrewUllejuanderer

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    Wow, interesting project, cool! Keep us posted!

Any pictures?

thanks
  • cbwimcbwim ✭✭✭
    Its now functionally complete, though I might still play around with strings. A friend of mine with a violin shop sent me some better Ebony cello pegs that he pre-shaved. Another friend loaned me his cello peg reamer. The nut was filed down to get the strings closer and I might file this down just a bit more. I went from light to a more medium gauge string set with the top end being at .045 to the bottom being at .105. More volume on the bottom but slightly duller at the top. I might go back to a lighter string for the top two. This time I wound the strings on the tuning pegs better and didn't require a splice! Nothing buzzes if properly played which is a good thing. Now to search for a decent pickup/amp combo and learn to play this thing.

Just playing along with recordings I find its pretty easy compared to the acrobatics required to play GJ guitar. At age 62 there is something to be said for single quarter and eight note runs!
    BucoAndrewUlle
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Sounds like you are onto something! Ha, yeah I know what you mean about the age 62 thing....it don't get any easier that's for sure.
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    We want pictures!
  • cbwimcbwim ✭✭✭
    It just looks like the cheap Chinese cello that it is. But only with better tuning pegs and deeper sounding strings.