DjangoBooks.com

Best Clear Pickguard?

Hi Friends -

Looking to add a small clear (maybe mylar) type pickguard to my Busato. Would ideally want something "semi-permanent" -- e.g. stays on there, but can be removed without messing up the finish.

Any recommendations?

much obliged,
- Spencer
Tagged:

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    I've used the clear plastic ones that don't have any adhesive and they stay on no problem. I think you need to be careful though that the plastic is compatible with your finish (especially if you leave them in place for a long time) so check that out first.
  • PompierPompier MarylandNew Cigano GJ-15
    I've tried the Taylor Universal pickguard on my Cigano spruce top, but it kept sliding right off. Was I using it wrong or is there a better version?
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    I've used mobile phone screen protectors which seem to stick to most guitars and they're cheap.
    Bucocrescendo
    always learning
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    I've used mobile phone screen protectors which seem to stick to most guitars and they're cheap.

Ha, I thought I was the only one! Those sticky iphone screen protectors are cheap, the perfect size/shape, and virtually indestructible.
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    edited February 2018 Posts: 795
    In the removable category, I like Rokkomann pickguards. They are a little tougher than other removables and still very light. Like most of this type, they do not work well if taken off and on. Best if it is put on and left on. Also best if the top finish is in good shape. If there is already a lot pick gouges or the top is rough, the removable type will not stick or look good. I've never had any finish interaction but I think this happens most often with nitro and I don't use nitro, so would not know. No problem on varnish, urethane or shellac (French polish).
    Wim Glenn wrote: »

Ha, I thought I was the only one! Those sticky iphone screen protectors are cheap, the perfect size/shape, and virtually indestructible.

Do you mean PET film?
  • BonesBones Moderator
    I found the package that mine came in. It's called Kling-On removable pick guiard. Stays on fine and I never take it off. No adhesive and I imagine it's probably similar to the iphone covers???
    Strings by Mail has relevant information on this page with individual product pages giving additional details on what pick guards are safe to use in what cases. I confess it's the first time I ask myself whether the top finish on my guitar is nitro-cellulose, French-polish, or UV-dried and how long it has been cured.
  • crescendocrescendo Palo Alto, CaliforniaNew Favino
    Thanks for the advice friends! Glad some new knowledge was brought together for the GJ community.

@Bones "Kling-on" - lol - nice startrek reference!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    The Kling On doesn't seem to affect my Gallatos but I'm not sure what the finish is. I found this video about how they build their guitars and they talk about the GJ guitars at about 6 minutes into the vid but it's in French so I don't know what they are saying.