DjangoBooks.com

Django in June 2018 Artists

Comments

• Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    Well one thing's for sure - Andrew has put together a terrific DiJ for 2018! Personally I'm thinking about taking class with Christiaan and Brad Brose maybe. I'm probably one of the biggest Angelo fans around - but having hung around him just a tiny bit in Montreal I'm not sure he will be the best teacher per se. I'm sure gonna love watching him though! It's gonna be something to see the jam sessions that erupt spontaneously.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited January 2018 Posts: 1,454
    If he can't help us to get La Gitane up to 300 bpm, then I'll settle for a lesson on how to get the shoes so shiny and the mustache so precise.
    Charles MeadowsAndrewLawrenceBonesBuco
  • AndrewLawrenceAndrewLawrence Northampton, MA✭✭
    Personally I'm thinking about taking class with Christiaan and Brad Brose maybe.

Hi Charlie:
    This year Christiaan is working with guitarists all day *Tuesday*, then working primarily with violinists for the rest of camp. So come a day early to work with him and get your Brose-fix later in the week.
    Cheers,
    ~Andrew
    Charles Meadowscavemusic
  • EmmettRayEmmettRay Honolulu, Hawaii✭✭✭✭ Koa Iseman, AJL XO-503, Holo Busato
    Wow! What a great line up this year! @AndrewLawrence I have a suggestion regarding the Angelo classes... I agree that he should teach level 4 but it might help to cut down those class sizes if he also did just one class geared towards all levels, in a larger more accommodating room.
  • tbleentbleen Astoria QueensNew Gaffiero
    @AndrewLawrence This looks like a fantastic year. I'm hoping there will still be room once the half camp option becomes available. I'm tempted to buy a full week but can't guarantee I can make it all week, so the half week just makes more sense. Will you give any public announcement if it looks like the camp is going to fill up before the half camp option? Like when there are maybe under 10 or 20 spots left? I certainly don't want to miss out.
  • cavemusiccavemusic Edmonton, Alberta 2010 JWC Modele Jazz, 2015 Jean Barault Grande Bouche with resonator, 1947 Kay upright bass, Django finger puppet
    edited February 2018 Posts: 44
    I am pretty close to committing to this year's camp. I've been wanting to go for years.
    I have a question. Can someone recommend a place to borrow or rent a decent upright bass for the camp? I would be flying in and it is pretty unlikely I could bring my own bass.
    Thanks!
    Kevin
    EmmettRay wrote: »
    Wow! What a great line up this year! @AndrewLawrence I have a suggestion regarding the Angelo classes... I agree that he should teach level 4 but it might help to cut down those class sizes if he also did just one class geared towards all levels, in a larger more accommodating room.

Hi Emmett...I appreciate the suggestion, but we're talking maybe 150 guitarists at very different levels of ability. I can't imagine Angelo being able to give any sort of decent lesson under those circumstances. For folks who really want to see him (and some of our most accomplished students) in action I think observing one of his classes would be better for all.

It's worth pondering, though, how we can provide some opportunity for everyone to hear from him...maybe an informal Q&A with him for an hour some evening. I'm thinking on it and open to ideas...

Looking forward to having you back...aloha!
    ~A

Buco
    tbleen wrote: »
    @AndrewLawrence This looks like a fantastic year. I'm hoping there will still be room once the half camp option becomes available. I'm tempted to buy a full week but can't guarantee I can make it all week, so the half week just makes more sense. Will you give any public announcement if it looks like the camp is going to fill up before the half camp option? Like when there are maybe under 10 or 20 spots left? I certainly don't want to miss out.

Hi tbleen! Glad you like the lineup. Me too! :)

I get the appeal of us offering that sort of heads up. The problem is that the cut-off point for registration is not really set in stone. For example...how many folks are willing to share a room instead of having their own? (At very little reduction in cost.)

Another variable is how far in advance we start approaching capacity. If we're still a couple months out and have time to hire more teachers, ask Smith for more rooms, etc., then maybe we can accommodate more people. But if folks try to register late we've lost that flexibility.

So...this time last year we had something like 58 people registered. Today we have almost 90. We'll do our best to let folks know where we stand from time to time.

Hope you can join us,
    ~Andrew

cavemusic wrote: »
    I am pretty close to committing to this year's camp. I've been wanting to go for years.
    I have a question. Can someone recommend a place to borrow or rent a decent upright bass for the camp? I would be flying in and it is pretty unlikely I could bring my own bass.
    Thanks!

Hi cavemusic. My friend Mark Leue runs a business that is mostly focused on the repair, sale and rental of upright basses. He provides basses every year for several campers and artists. So...no problem.

http://www.theluthier.us/theluthier.us/Welcome.html

Hope you can make it,
    ~Andrew

cavemusic
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    When I saw Angelo in Montreal his English was not bad. I'm gonna try to relearn a little french though... I wonder how Angelo will do the class. I'm not planning to go to his class as I'm more of an intermediate level player. But it will be great to listen to him sitting around jamming.