DjangoBooks.com

Best Hard Case for [Favino, Busato, Selmer]?

crescendocrescendo Palo Alto, CaliforniaNew Favino
Hey Friends -

Another question: Looking to get cases for a couple guitars. One standard selmer, but others Busato / Favino shape.

Three Goals: (1) protect the guitar - even when flying or gigging, (2) light-weight, (3) backpack straps.

Thinking about getting something carbon fiber build by Hoffee, but have also heard good things about calton, hiscox, ziplock sandwich bags, and bam.

Would greatly appreciate some sage wisdom! Thanks again,
- Spencer
Tagged:

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Caltons - very heavy, expensive, but can be custom built to any size, as can the Hoffee
    Hiscox - I don't think they make one in Favino or Busato size
    ziploc bags - most economical; not sure about the protection
    Bam - again, I think they only come in Selmer size; they also scratch easily, and for travel you will want the bag, which adds a couple of hundred $ to the cost

I have a Mono M80 dreadnought case, soft sided but extremely sturdy, with straps. They advertise it as flight worthy. I don't know about putting it in checked baggage, but I have gate checked it with no problem. A Selmer sized guitar fits easily, and it might work for a Favino or Busato as well. Worth looking into.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Brad HermanBrad Herman San Francisco, CANew JWC Modele Jazz, Stankevicius Alena, Alexander Polyakov Selmer #6
    I have a Hiscox gypsy case for my JWC selmer copy and love it... pricey but worth it
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 88
    I have a Hiscox Pro-II Liteflite case for gypsy jazz (probably identical to the one Brad mentioned). When the case arrived, it included a photo involving 6 guys and the case. You can find that photo in this link: https://www.hiscoxcases.com/build-quality/

After seeing that photo I had no further question. I did not try that on my own case, though!
  • t-birdt-bird Portland, Oregon Castelluccia Nuages, Dupont Nomade
    edited February 2018 Posts: 119
    +1 for Hiscox. I have their "Gypsy Jazz Acoustic Guitar Case" and it's like a glove for my Nomade.
  • jazzman3726jazzman3726 USANew Various
    I've bought a few Cedar Creek cases. One, that was made for a custom Campellone arch top, has a cool gator skin surface. Heavy. But pretty much indestructible. I checked my guitar once (?!) on a flight from NYC to Miami and it came out bruised and scratched. The guitar was fine, though.
    Cedar has standard models and they usually do custom jobs.
    crescendo