DjangoBooks.com

Anyone tried the Kleio 47 pickup

Has anyone ever tried the Kleio 47 pickup for Gypsy jazz Guitar? Wondering how it would be through a PA with full band, and loud?? Thanks!

Comments

I didn't but, boy don't try to Google the name only with your significant other sitting next to you!
    Big mistake!!!
    Mehran s
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    Buco wrote: »
    I didn't but, boy don't try to Google the name only with your significant other sitting next to you!
    Big mistake!!!
    And I bet I am not the only one who did exactly that after your post gave us a hint. Disgusting stuff, don't go there buddy, its surely not healthy and you could go blind !
  • chrisdchrisd Perth, Australia Dell'Arte DG-RN1
    I've got one and I really like it. I use it with a band with drums and no problems with sound so far! The drummer is fairly reserved though so I guess it depends on what you mean by full band. But I'd say it's loud and sounds good to me. They were also very helpful with questions so get in touch with them if you like.
  • plexi69plexi69 New
    How would you say it compares with a Stimer tonally? Thanks.
  • chrisdchrisd Perth, Australia Dell'Arte DG-RN1
    I really like the tone and it feels well balanced to me. I've never played with a Stimer though. Here's an example of it with J'attendrai, with a fishman loudbox mini.
    Mehran s
  • DiDriveDiDrive Russia✭✭ Hahl Gitano de Luxe "Antique"
    edited February 2018 Posts: 37
    I use it for a few years now. I do like it.

Here are some examples:
    Kleio 47

Kleio 51
    BucoMattHenryMehran s
    Cool, thanks Dmitry. I like the sound of 51 better. It's less Stimer-ish sounding, has it's own voice. Sounds cleaner, more of a jazz box sound than amplified Selmer style guitar.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 3,707
    Eeek, I confess I googled Kleio. :o
    Buco
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • DimisDimis AthensNew Oval Hole Goulielmos Guitar
    shaneb wrote: »
    Has anyone ever tried the Kleio 47 pickup for Gypsy jazz Guitar? Wondering how it would be through a PA with full band, and loud?? Thanks!

Dear shaneb
    I was just informed for this post. My name is Dim, I am the person who makes the Kleio pickups.
    Thank you for your interest. I will try to give you some information about the Kleio pickups by Gabojo www.gabojo.com

Kleio pickups were inspired by Adonis Goulielmos, a gypsy jazz guitar luthier www.goulielmos-guitars.gr. We run this project for the last 5 years (Adonis as a luthier and myself as the pickup maker). It is a project for a small audience but it has given us huge pleasure and has been proved a big challenge.

The pickup is named after to his nine-year-old daughter and it is written exactly as she writes her name, using Latin characters.

A few words about the concept of the pickups:

We listened to many recordings and we tried to catch that sound (although many of them - as we think - weren’t recorded with a stimer). We tried to ‘put in’ Kleio some small phrases of that electric sound, from these recordings that we liked. The other goal was to balance the pickups between the strings (especially the B string).

For Kleio 47 we were inspired by Django’s electric sound between 1946 and 1950. The tone of Kleio 47 is influenced by those recordings, where the poor amplification and the naturally aggressive acoustic technique of Django gave to our ears (and hearts) that legendary, gypsy jazz tone.

Kleio 51 is an ideal pickup for Selmer Maccaferri style guitars. It produces an amplified electric sound, referring to the ‘modern’ period of Django Reinhardt, from 1950 till his death in 1953. In that period, Django’s solos became less chordal. His legendary live at St Germans Club in 1951 was the inspiration for us to design Kleio 51, that is why we decided to dedicate the pickup’s number ID (51) to that live performance.

If you have any more questions, do not hesitate to contact me. Thanks again for your interest!

You can find below some videos where you can listen to Kleio’s sound.

Kleio 51 PlayList :

Kleio 47 PlayList

Check at 1:54

Check at 1:18

altonBucoMehran s
  • bobogypsybobogypsy phoenix✭✭✭
    I am thinking about the Kleio 47 for my Altamira M30 but I am not sure the pickup will be too high for my strings. Does any body use this pickup with their M30?
    Bob Tencer