DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy jazz clubs in NYC

jazzman3726jazzman3726 USANew Various
in Welcome Posts: 16
Hi
I’ll be in the city next week and would like to take in some music. Does anyone know if a good club? There’s a place called Django’s (really?) at the Roxy but I’m not sure how authentic it would be.
Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Thanks.

Comments

• PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Django is not specialized in gypsy jazz unfortunately. You can check Cornelia street cafe, Anyway cafe, Bistro Fada, Barbes, Bar velo.
  • jazzman3726jazzman3726 USANew Various
    Thanks. Most of those are in Brooklyn, and I really don't have the time. But thanks in any case. I appreciate it.
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Yes that is also my problem... I live in Manhattan and most of the clubs playing that music are in Brooklyn
  • thorjensenthorjensen Brooklyn, NY Jerome Duffell
    Anyway Cafe (east village) is really great. They don't have gypsy jazz every night, but its worth checking in with them to see and the hang there is great. This Sunday (the 4th) at Cornelia Street has gypsy jazz
  • The Blue Note Jazz Club (Greenwich Village in Manhattan) is having a Django/Stephane-inspired gypsy jazz group called The Showdown Kids perform on Monday, March 5th at 8 pm. They are really good!
    http://www.bluenote.net/newyork/schedule/moreinfo.cgi?id=16315
    Hope to see you there, Jazzman!
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 1,231
    In addition to what's already posted here, I'll add my thoughts as I live in the area.
    Barbes on Sunday nights is worth the effort. Yes, it may be a hike depending on where you are staying, but public transportation such as subways, taxis, and ride services like Uber and Lyft will get you there quickly. Cornelia Street Cafe in Manhattan has a few performances by good local players this Sunday. Alex Simon hosts a jam on Thursday nights at Fada Bistro. My group performs GJ styled music on Tuesdays and Thursdays in Jersey City, which is easy to get to. There are performances almost every night in this style by good local musicians, but I'd suggest being flexible as to where they are.

If you are on Facebook, you might consider joining a group called Gypsy Swing NYC and taking a look at what is posted there. Or better yet, post the dates when you'll be in the area and I'm pretty positive folks will chime in as to what is happening.
    Jojo
  • jazzman3726jazzman3726 USANew Various
    Thanks, everyone! Great suggestions. And JP Woman: I'm only in for one night and it's the 5th. I made a reservation for the show. See you there!