DjangoBooks.com

Replacing a Bridge

Hi guys, I have a couple of questions about replacing the bridge on my oval-hole guitar. The time has definitely come, it's a 45 year old guitar and the bridge is very worn in places, resulting in the nasty sound of strings rattling against the bridge.

My main question is - is there a "universal" good bridge that I could put on myself (I have a small amount of know-how with these sorts of things), or would a bridge need to be tailor made for my guitar? It's a somewhat unique guitar in that the oval hole is slightly larger than most, but I wouldn't have thought that would make a difference.

In basic terms: Is there a bridge I could buy and fit myself? Or would I need a luthier to make one for me?

Thanks in advance for your help, fellow guitarists

Comments

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    There isn't a universal bridge unfortunately as there are a number of variables including width, length and ultimately the most important height. What are the measurements of the current bridge ?
    always learning
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    You may get away with just carefully buying a stock bridge of the right height, or the height you want. There's a lot on this site about how to mate your new bridge to your guitar if your good at searching.
    Bridges are a big subject with differing views on what's best. Look for a vid about how to "seat" (mate) your bridge to the guitar top, if you want to be sure of a good match. It's possible that the bridge you buy will seat well enough without doing any procedure but a poor match in mating surfaces (bottom of bridge and top of guitar) can play havoc with the sound.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
  • BonesBones Moderator
    If you own a valuable guitar I wouldn't mess with it unless you know what you are doing (i.e. have a luthier do it who knows about GJ guitars). If it's a cheap guitar that you don't really care about then you could learn the skills on it but be careful and do a good job if you can.
  • LeonPLeonP New
    Ofcours you can buy an universal bridge and replace it by your self.
    You can buy different hights bridges. Pick one that fits most and just sand it down to fit perfect. Anyone who is a bit handyman can do that.