DjangoBooks.com

Conversation between rhythm and solo guitar-Remi Harris

in Welcome Posts: 4,730
People mention this a lot, the conversation between the two musicians. But it's not always easy to find a good example. Here in this Remi's video which deserves to be watched from beginning to the end anyhow and besides the interactive intro, if you go to about 1:59, you will see how Remi reacts to something that rhythm guitarist played.
Not overly complicated stuff but it shows that Remi was listening and decided that he could playfully react and then two of them make a little bit of exchange.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
JosechikyScoredogBones

Comments

• Yep. That's how its done.
  • Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy
    edited June 2018 Posts: 355
    Three things occur to me right off the bat: First, that kind of conversation is much easier to manage in a trio format than a quartet or quintet--there' s more open space and less of a chance of someone zigging when someone else zags. Second, the rhythm player is operating very much in drummer mode, keeping the pulse (along with the bass) and sparingly inserting accents or walks. Third, he does nevertheless sometimes operate in comping mode, responding to (or even feeding) the lead's gestures and figures. Final bonus observation: notice how straight rhythm becomes the primary function when the tempo increases--there's not enough space to do much more at that speed, though I think I heard a couple of accents inserted.
    You got down deep into it way more than I did Russell.
  • Adrien M and Mathieu C get a really nice conversation going too.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • PompierPompier MarylandNew Cigano GJ-15
    Great video and another awesome player I'd never heard of. It reminded me of a story Herbie Hancock tells about playing with Miles:

BucoBonessteffo
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 4,730
    Pretty cool story there about Miles. Remi is one of my favorite players in the whole genre.
    Jazzaferri wrote: »
    Adrien M and Mathieu C get a really nice conversation going too.
    Adrien or Sebastien? If there is something with Adrien too, I wanna see it.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 4,730
    And for more of Remi's goodness look here:
    PompierJosechiky
  • @Buco it was Adrien and Mathieu. it was posted here a while ago ... a youtube I think
    Perhaps:
    steffoJosechiky
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 3,707
    Thats part of it....my memory is it went on for quite a time