DjangoBooks.com

Modifying a Peche a la Mouche pickup?

asuraasura Los Angeles Cigano GJ-10, Gitane D500
edited February 2017 in Welcome Posts: 39
Hey everyone,

I have a pre-Django 100th anniversary Peche a la mouche pickup (the one with the permanent cable attached) and was wondering if anyone knows how to modify it to have a detachable cable (like the newer models)?

I believe I read in another thread somewhere on this site that it is possible but can't find that thread anymore... It didn't have any information on how it could be done though

I'd really love to have the option to pull the cable out of the pickup!

Thanks!

Edit: Here is the thread I was talking about

http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/14608/peche-a-la-mouche-pickup-with-detachable-cable

Al talks about being able to convert it. Would anyone know the process?

So just to reiterate, from this

98008-micro-sur-favino-mini.jpg

to this

peche-a-la-mouche-pickup.jpg
wim

Comments

• edited February 2017 Posts: 4,730
    I don't have the Peche to see how the housing can be opened but that would be the process : open the housing, un-solder the cable, drill a hole on the housing and install a surface/chassis mounted RCA connector (although I would go with 3.5mm) and connect the RCA jack where the original cable was connected.

Easier approach would be to cut the original cable as close as possible to the pickup leaving only enough slack on the cable to connect a jack to it. For example a 1/8 or RCA female on the pickup side and then a male jack on the main cable.
    asura
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • asuraasura Los Angeles Cigano GJ-10, Gitane D500
    Thank you the info Buco!
    It's very helpful!
    Sure man. I might do it with my Krivo pickup, the short pigtail version. Although the attached cable doesn't bother me, it'd be just something to try, hmmm something to think about.
    Why do you wanna do it? Maybe it would convince me too.
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    I too wondered about trying this with my Krivo. I can't speak for 'asura' but it would be convenient to be able to unplug the lead to put the guitar back on the stand without having to remove the pickup every time.
  • asuraasura Los Angeles Cigano GJ-10, Gitane D500
    Ya pretty much what Chris said. I want the freedom from the cable and to not have to remove the pickup every time.

It makes me feel sort of constricted and claustrophobic... I mean it's not that big of a hassle but it would be a nice convenience.

Another thing is the idea of the cable going bad. I take care of my equipment but things happen. I feel with the permanent cable (and a pretty thin slinky one at that) there's a high chance of it getting damaged.

What do people do when they damage their permanent pickup cables?
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 4,730
    I pretty much know that the cable on Krivo where it joins the pickup will fray and break eventually, it started although changing very slowly. I think the only thing to do is send it to Jason, I wouldn't have slightest Idea how to unseal it.

But the same would need to be done with the Peche, cut the existing cable at the break and then re-solder or replace the whole thing depending on the length of the cable left.

By the way they probably used the RCA because there isn't enough space for the 1/4" jack to plug in, the RCA jack will not go inside the chassis or at least not very deep.

PS I sent you a pm
  • JHBJHB Austin, Texas Dupont MD50
    I have a Peche à la mouche pickup and had to take it apart because the pot failed. I replaced the alpha pot with a better CTS pot. I may have some pics that may be of help.
    asurawim
  • @JHB am having issues with pot on my Peche. Very little gain. I Would really appreciate any advice as to specifics in how you changed it out.
  • JHBJHB Austin, Texas Dupont MD50
    Here are images of the original alpha pot and the new CTS installed. The alpha was junk. I wouldn't recommend this swap unless the person has experience with electronics/soldering. If I had to do this more than once I'd spec a smaller size pot.
    rgrice
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

@JHB What is the advantage of replacing the potentiometer? I mean what's it mean in practice for the alpha to be junk and what do you win by putting in a "better" pot?