DjangoBooks.com

Rosenberg academy or Joscho Stephan's Gypsyjazzguitar academy

Feruza2134Feruza2134 The NetherlandsNew Phoenix D hole guitar
edited August 2018 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 86
Hi, i am a beginner gypsy jazz player and would like to sign up with one of these sites, which one do you guys think i should pick? thanks

Comments

• richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    I really like Rosenberg Academy but honestly it's not great for beginners in my opinion. If you are really tenacious and a crazy hard worker you will get a lot out of it, but it will take years, not months.
  • Feruza2134Feruza2134 The NetherlandsNew Phoenix D hole guitar
    @richter4208 i am an experienced guitar player just not in the gypsy jazz genre (i played mostly classical guitar before this) thanks for the reply!
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    There is a lot of free stuff out there by Robin Nolan, Samy Daussat, Christiaan Van Hemert, https://www.guitare-improvisation.com/video_learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar-lesson.php, John Scrivo, Tim Robinson, etc.
    Josechiky
  • Who’s playing do you like?
  • kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
    Joscho's is going to be better for beginners - even though he has a lot of his signature virtuosity on the site he also has a lot of stuff that is really toned down. I think the intro lessons on dc music school will also be good.
  • ShemiShemi Cardiff✭✭✭
    edited August 2018 Posts: 170
    I like both. One of the things that I like about Joscho's site is there are usually two types of solos, that being easy and then a more intermediate/advanced one. The easy ones have some nice melodic ideas that are effective and simple. The solos are quite short so they feel relatively bite sized. Not much talk of what's going on in terms of concepts, but of course you might be able to ascertain those for yourself.

I started with the Rosenberg academy, I found the solos challenging but of course some were easier than others. It definiately took some time to get some of them up to the original tempo especially if you choose to stick to Stochelo's picking!lol A big bonus that I liked is how Christaan notates the concepts of what's happening in the score, as I found that once I understood them I could hear how they're used all though the genre by other players. You can then come up with some of your own ideas based on them.

I've also bought loads of Denis's stuff from the DC site which is also great.I would really recommend his course on improvising as a great starter to build from.

Honestly though, while I bought all of this stuff I've learnt the most by just learning the songs and melodies, concentrating on the rhythm playing and learning some phrases to apply over them. All that you can do for free. Christiaan has some good intros to rhythm on his YouTube.

I learned quite a few solos note for note because I find that easy coming from a classical background, buy really after time I just ended up remembering the phrases that I liked, so I think I could have spent less energy doing whole solos and and simply just learned some licks and then practice applying them to different songs. I will also admit that a lot of the stuff I learned and practiced in my initial years went out the window when I eventually had the opportunity to go to a proper jam recently, so the sooner you can do that the better.
    Josechikyhobodaddy
  • Feruza2134Feruza2134 The NetherlandsNew Phoenix D hole guitar
    Thanks for the replies everyone!
    i have already being messing around with GJ for around six month i can play Django's minor swing solo, blues en mineur, for Sephora, and Bossa dorado (these are the songs i can play well!)
    As for Dc-musicschool, i already have: Dennis's essential skills for Improvising as a beginner and i have in the style of Bireli Lagrene. Although i dont find these have helped me improve a lot, does anybody have any tips for learning solo's by ear because i have a hard time with that.
    I would really like to go to a jam session but i just dont know where i can find them. I 15 so i can't drive anywhere so only public transport
    if it helps i live in The Netherlands, Hilversum
    Sorry for any messy sentences or spelling English is not my native language and its 1:33 AM at the time im writing this
    Cheers!
    Josechiky
  • The best way IMO to learn this genre is to listen intently to this style of music to the point where you can whistle hum gargle or whatever the solos or parts that really speak to you.

If you can already play guitar the rest is just matter of figuring out the fingering that works best for your version
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    I think Yaakov Hoter is the best and most methodical teacher for a beginner in this style. Check out http://www.gypsyandjazz.com/ and look at a number of his free lessons there and on YouTube. I came in as an experienced blues, rock, flamenco player and I still needed to learn a lot to get a handle on this style.

It’s true, there is a lot of free material. But you’re on your own organizing and guiding yourself. If you want to make a lot of progress fast, it’s Yaakov, hands down. A foundation with him will be your guide to taking advantage of all the free lessons and material elsewhere.
    Vebjørnbillyshakeshobodaddy
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    @Feruza2134 Hello from a fellow Netherlands resident! There is a nice gypsy-jazz scene in Amsterdam, and I encourage you to come out and play.

First Tuesday of every month: Jam at Het Molentje (Singel 278) from 21:00 onward.

Last Friday of every month: Jam at De Pianist (Groen van Prinstererstraat 41) from 20:30 onward.

Every Sunday: Reinier Voet plays at De IJKantine (NDSM Kade 5) from 15:30 to 18:00. Might be easier for you than the jams since you wouldn't have to worry about late-night public transit.

Tuesdays: Cafe Langereis has gypsy jazz from 20:00 to 23:00 a couple times a month. Check in advance by calling them.

There's also a weekly gypsy-jazz jam at Cafe Domkop in Utrecht, Tuesdays at 20:00, organized by Wouter van Dijk.

Also, don't miss the Django Amsterdam festival, coming up in January. http://djangoamsterdam.com/

Adrian
    NylonDaveJosechikyBuco