DjangoBooks.com

How did Django play the main theme of Daphne?

JojoJojo London UK
in Technique Posts: 190
Particularly how would he play the octaves with those two fingers? And even more particularly, which shape would he have used for the 'B'; would it have been on the fifth string or the sixth string. I'm used to playing octaves (for example) D fifth fret, fifth string (5/5) with the octave at 3/7. However you can do it 5/5 and 2/3, which may have been his preference, just sliding it up the neck to play the chromatic part of the theme. BUT, that 'B'? Thanks in advance

Comments

• jeffmatzjeffmatz ChicagoNew
    I don't know, and I have often wondered about "Djangoctaves."

My guess is, as he could use his fused third and fourth finger for chords, that he could use them for octaves as well...

The man was remarkable, to put it mildly.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited September 2018 Posts: 1,454
    Django played octaves with index and pinky, regardless of whether it was the 2 fret stretch or the 3 fret stretch.
  • JojoJojo London UK
    Thanks guys, much appreciated. Have seen the video lots of times but hadn't matched up what he was doing in the video to the music. Makes sense in him using what he had available to him.
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Or is it the ring finger?