DjangoBooks.com

Getting Frustrated

124»

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah that vid and the first part of the Kevin Nolan vid really sum it up. At first focus on getting the basic pompe (like they show in the first part of the vid) how you like it before you try to embellish with upstroke, etc. That absolutely is the necessary starting point. If you are in a jam with a few rhythm players you don't want to use the upstroke anyway or it will likely deteriorate the groove if everyone is playing the upstroke differently (unless you are designated as the rhythm player adding fills/embellishments). If it's just a duo situation with one rhythm guitar you can do whatever meshes with the soloist as long as the groove is solid and it swings.
  • As has been said by many skilled musicians....Let teh song lead the way.

Playing the same rhythm all the way through a song is pretty conservative. Over half a dozen songs,.....well, doesn't work for me.

If you listen to the All Star Recordings with Django Bigard, Stweart and ...ack seniors moment maybe Taylor on bass that is my go to rhythm style....errr ...well....styles
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • jpipper17jpipper17 New Saga Cigano GJ-10
    jonpowl wrote: »
    You mentioned Gonzalo, so here is a video about Gonzalo's rhythm style. I lifted this video from Djangobooks, but can't find the original post.

Very cool. Thanks!

Bones wrote: »
    Yeah that vid and the first part of the Kevin Nolan vid really sum it up. At first focus on getting the basic pompe (like they show in the first part of the vid) how you like it before you try to embellish with upstroke, etc. That absolutely is the necessary starting point. If you are in a jam with a few rhythm players you don't want to use the upstroke anyway or it will likely deteriorate the groove if everyone is playing the upstroke differently (unless you are designated as the rhythm player adding fills/embellishments). If it's just a duo situation with one rhythm guitar you can do whatever meshes with the soloist as long as the groove is solid and it swings.

After messing around with different ways of practicing, I am seeing your point.

• BonesBones Moderator
    edited October 2018 Posts: 3,319
    Coincidentally just got an email from Robin with this link:

Have fun, be patient. If in doubt, less is more.
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Here is Max playing some great rhythm:
    jpipper17
    jonpowl wrote: »
    Here is Max playing some great rhythm:

That was lovely.
  • tylertinatylertina New
    Robin Nolan has a new 2 part Rhythm video out today on Youtube

I find his video's good and recommend it