DjangoBooks.com

Minor lick

emicademicad Rome - ItalyModerator
edited June 2006 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 472
Hi to all,
I need an help:
I'm sure most of you know the typical major lick played in this way (for example in Gmajor):
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 5 - 3 - 2 - 3 - 7 -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 5 - 3 - 2 - 3 - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 5 - 4 - 3 - 4 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - 7 - 5 - 4 - 5 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- 7 - 5 - 4 - 5 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
There is also a minor lick played with this pattern, someone remember it? I've found it on a Robin Nolan book but I can't remember it...

Comments

• GildasGildas FranceNew
    Hi!
    As Dennis is around here now, I allow myself to answer in his place :twisted: !
    Here's the minor version (in Gm) - but I don't know if this one is featured in RN's book... Just remember : you can always use the same shape (ex : (7 5 4 5 - one step up, a half-step down) if you want to target (5)) except for the fifth on a minor chord (here, a D) or the major third on a major chord (in your example, a B), both for which you use the (6 5 4 5 - half-step up, half-step down) pattern .

[code]
    ----------------------------------------5-3-2-3-6---
    ------------------------------4-3-2-3---------------
    --------------------5-3-2-3-------------------------
    ----------7-5-4-5-----------------------------------
    6-5-4-5---------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------
    [/code]
  • emicademicad Rome - ItalyModerator
    [quote="Gildas"]Hi!
    As Dennis is around here now, I allow myself to answer in his place :twisted: !
    Here's the minor version (in Gm) - but I don't know if this one is featured in RN's book... Just remember : you can always use the same shape (ex : (7 5 4 5 - one step up, a half-step down) if you want to target (5)) except for the fifth on a minor chord (here, a D) or the major third on a major chord (in your example, a B), both for which you use the (6 5 4 5 - half-step up, half-step down) pattern .

[code]
    ----------------------------------------5-3-2-3-6---
    ------------------------------4-3-2-3---------------
    --------------------5-3-2-3-------------------------
    ----------7-5-4-5-----------------------------------
    6-5-4-5---------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------
    [/code][/quote]
    Part of this lick or a similar one is featured in the Gypsy Jazz Licks Vol.1 book by Robin. Anyway, thanks for your reply, it will be useful for me.
    Can you explain me what you mean with "target (5)". What I have understood is that I can play the lick an half-ste up or down, the rest is arab for me :roll:
  • GildasGildas FranceNew
    "What I have understood is that I can play the lick an half-step up or down, the rest is arab for me". :arrow: not at all! Ok, I have one more try:
    When you play a chord by targeting each note - this is actually what we do in our 2 examples here (G and Gm), you can use the same pattern to target each note of the chord:

If you play 7 5 4 5 on the D string (A G F# G), you're actually targeting the G note. In reality you play a pattern which is like:
      one step up the target note (A) the target note (G) a half-step down the target note (F#) the target note (G)
    This pattern:
      one step up the target note the target note a half-step down the target note the target note
    can be used to target for each note of the chord (you can verify this on the lick you posted)
    EXCEPT for the fifth if you're playing a minor chord or the third if you're playing a major chord. In these 2 cases, it sounds more common to play the pattern:
      a half-step up the target note the target note a half-step down the target note the target note
    In Gm, the fifth is D. So we'll target the D like this:
      a half-step up the target note (Eb) the target note (D) a half-step down the target note (Db) the target note (D)
    This is what happens on the B-string on my first post... and you can try this on all chord shapes then...
    Do not hesitate to ask more if it is not clear... !

G.
    Gildas wrote:
    "What I have understood is that I can play the lick an half-step up or down, the rest is arab for me". :arrow: not at all! Ok, I have one more try:
    When you play a chord by targeting each note - this is actually what we do in our 2 examples here (G and Gm), you can use the same pattern to target each note of the chord:

If you play 7 5 4 5 on the D string (A G F# G), you're actually targeting the G note. In reality you play a pattern which is like:
      one step up the target note (A) the target note (G) a half-step down the target note (F#) the target note (G)
    This pattern:
      one step up the target note the target note a half-step down the target note the target note
    can be used to target for each note of the chord (you can verify this on the lick you posted)
    EXCEPT for the fifth if you're playing a minor chord or the third if you're playing a major chord. In these 2 cases, it sounds more common to play the pattern:
      a half-step up the target note the target note a half-step down the target note the target note
    In Gm, the fifth is D. So we'll target the D like this:
      a half-step up the target note (Eb) the target note (D) a half-step down the target note (Db) the target note (D)
    This is what happens on the B-string on my first post... and you can try this on all chord shapes then...
    Do not hesitate to ask more if it is not clear... !

G.
    Perfectly understood, I was confused by the meaning of the word "target". Now it's all clair and pretty simple.
    Take a look at this, starting on D string instead of A on a Cmajor chord instead of Gmajor, I have not my guitar in hand so I hope to write all correctly...

-------------------------------7-5-4-5-8-
    ---------------------6-5-4-5-------------
    -----------7-5-4-5-----------------------
    -7-5-4-5---------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------

I've never seen this lick transcribed, it's perfect over 5th string chords like the other is for 6th string chords.
  • GildasGildas FranceNew
    Yeah this one is a bit different because it outlines C6 / Am7 chord... it's up to you :wink:

G.
    Gildas wrote:
    Yeah this one is a bit different because it outlines C6 / Am7 chord... it's up to you :wink:

G.
    I usually play both licks (this one and the first one) in a longer way, playing more notes, so I'll post both here or in my site as soon as possible and put a link here.
    Bye thanks again
    Hi to all,
    here the 2 major licks I've promised to post, in jpg and ptb format.
    I suggest to play the licks with 4 fingers, let me know if you need all the fingerings added to the file, happy to do it.
    Anyone knows how to add left-hand fingerings in PowerTab?