DjangoBooks.com

Anyone have a Dupont Vieille Reserve and/or Barault to try near Madison, WI?

Is there anybody near the Madison, Wisconsin area that has a Dupont Vieille Reserve or a Barault that would be willing to let me test them out? I am just really curious to hear how these very high end guitars compare to what I have currently. I would not mind driving a little bit. It would be fun to geek out about guitars, gypsy jazz, and to jam.

I went through the same thing when I was shopping for archtop guitars, I went through 5 different archtops looking for "that sound". I decide to stop messing around and just pick up a Gibson L-5 and then I finally had the sound that I heard in my head.

Thanks!

Comments

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    I can't help. having neither one and being on the other side of the world but it is good to see someone taking the initiative at last and asking to try. More people should be doing this wherever possible to get a real idea of the feel and the sound and then maybe we would not need to read so many of those pointless discussions on here about such personally subjective considerations about whether guitar A is better than guitar B.
    geese_comJim Kaznosky
    Check with Caravan in Chicago what they have in stock.
    geese_com
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    I'd be surprised if Caravan Guitars was still in business. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503
    Buco wrote: »
    Check with Caravan in Chicago what they have in stock.

Thanks! I just sent them a Facebook message to check what they have in stock.
    I can't help. having neither one and being on the other side of the world but it is good to see someone taking the initiative at last and asking to try. More people should be doing this wherever possible to get a real idea of the feel and the sound and then maybe we would not need to read so many of those pointless discussions on here about such personally subjective considerations about whether guitar A is better than guitar B.

When I did the comparison videos it really opened my eyes on how different these guitars can be from each other. Hence why I would prefer to try them in person instead of spending $6,000+ on a guitar and not liking it then dealing with the hassle of shipping it back.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 4,730
    I'mOuch, could be, since I moved to the East coast I'm out of the loop. I see the site is down but the FB page is still active. Hope they're still around...
    I'd be surprised if Caravan Guitars was still in business. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Buco wrote: »
    I'mOuch, could be, since I moved to the East coast I'm out of the loop. I see the site is down but the FB page is still active. Hope they're still around...

I am chatting with them right now. They are still in business but no actual store front or website.

Buco
  • Considering that you are a serious buyer, would it be worth it for you to book a trip to Seattle or California to try some guitars out from Michael and/or Tommy?
  • TubaphoneTubaphone Kansas Mateos Django
    Considering that you are a serious buyer, would it be worth it for you to book a trip to Seattle or California to try some guitars out from Michael and/or Tommy?

Or France!
    wim
    Considering that you are a serious buyer, would it be worth it for you to book a trip to Seattle or California to try some guitars out from Michael and/or Tommy?

Tubaphone wrote: »

Or France!

I wish I could! Can't really get away from home for too many days. The last time I went to France, I wasn't even interested in gypsy jazz. Missed opportunity there since we spent 5 days in Paris.

AndrewUlle