DjangoBooks.com

Old gibson L5/L10/L12?

Hey guys,
i'm a huge fan of old 30s and 40s acoustic archtops and i now that there are thousands of them sometime sleeping in a closet in America, so don't hesitate to drop me a line if you consider selling yours, or if you know of one selling for reasonable prices (either here or on facebook), either gibson or epiphones etc.

Thanks !!
Here is a little demo of my 1934 L5 16 inches !!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FlSoQ6BHCvA

Romain
t-bird

Comments

• swiesslerswiessler NorCalNew Dupont MD20,Gibson L5,Bumgarner F hole(DiMauro type)
    Thanks for that nice version. I saw some of your others also. Pretty nice guitars! I have a beautiful 1933 Gibson L5(not for sale) They are out there, but no longer inexpensive. There were some very fine sounding second tier marques in that time period also. Some of the Kay, Regal and Vega guitars
    were built with fine tone woods and sound beautiful.
    thanks Swiessler, i've never try these ! i should !!
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Romain, I would suggest you also consider Epiphones of the same period. Long before Epiphone was purchased by Gibson and eventually became their budget brand, they were Gibson’s biggest competitor. Many people, myself included, consider the 30s-40s Epiphones to be at least as good as their Gibson counterparts, if not better. I have a 1946 Epiphone Triumph (L7 equivalent) that is a killer and better than any L7 I’ve ever played. Higher end models were the Broadway, the DeLuxe, and the enormous Emperor.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • John GillJohn Gill
    I purchased a Dupont Lloyd ( all solid woods version) from this website and it is a great guitar. So good in fact that I sold my Epiphone Emperor and Devon and now use the Dupont on all of my gigs. And, I play it acoustically!
    But good luck in your search and your L-5 sounds beautiful.
    John Gill
    MichaelHorowitz
    klaatu wrote: »
    Romain, I would suggest you also consider Epiphones of the same period. Long before Epiphone was purchased by Gibson and eventually became their budget brand, they were Gibson’s biggest competitor. Many people, myself included, consider the 30s-40s Epiphones to be at least as good as their Gibson counterparts, if not better. I have a 1946 Epiphone Triumph (L7 equivalent) that is a killer and better than any L7 I’ve ever played. Higher end models were the Broadway, the DeLuxe, and the enormous Emperor.

Yes indeed i should check them out !
    i didn't fall in love for any emperor, but i've tried some cool deluxes, and they can be more affordable than gibson L5s. A little less thick in the mids maybe, but interesting.
    I havn't tried broadways and triumph much, i guess i should
  • mondodavemondodave New
    I have a beautiful ‘36 advanced body L-10 with checkerboard binding and arrow inlays. Pretty rare guitar, and cheaper than an l-5. Write me if you want more details... Dave