DjangoBooks.com

Broken Headstock

dominicleewedominicleewe London, United KingdomNew Altamira Mod M
in Welcome Posts: 10
So basically my Altamira fell face first and the headstock broke off. I've contacted some luthiers who say they could try fixing it but **** has also said it will be very hard to fix. I need more opinions on how I should move forward with this. I'm hoping to get at least a few more years out of this guitar before I upgrade to a better one so I'm really just looking for a fix right now instead of buying a new one.

Comments

• richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019 Posts: 518
    Man that a tough one. Repair vs replace. Gonna be a few hundred to fix a broken headstock correctly and you are gonna need to have it to done right by the right luthier.
  • JoseJose Minneapolis New DuPont MD 50
    Yeah I agree with Richter, perhaps you may have to look for another guitar. Maybe an used one?
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    edited March 2019 Posts: 541
    depends on how it broke - pictures? I know mine has been in and out of repair, but it was a particularly bad break. Yours may be more easily repaired than mine.
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Sorry to hear about your mishap. A friend of mine had his headstock snap just above the nut, he just bolted it back on - I don't even think he bothered with glue just the two bolts.
    always learning
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah that's a tough one but should be fixable depending.... yeah need to see pics.
  • NewcastleBudNewcastleBud Erstwhile✭✭✭✭
    Have you contacted Killy Nonis, in Canterbury?
    He did a beautiful repair on a snapped headstock a couple of years ago,..good as new!
    Get in touch with him.
    I think, therefore I am......I think.
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    On the good side, there is plenty of gluing surface. The cosmetics may be the most expensive part.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Looks doable. Be sure to leave ALL the wood chips in place. Easier to glue in the same,loose piece than to try to shape a new little piece. Keep every little piece even if it is loose. Give it all to the luthier.
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Is it possible to buy a new neck from Altamira? Then it would be just like a neck reset, which I'm guessing would still cost about the same as a new Altamira Model M. That break is so bad, it almost seems as the neck may have already been damaged before the fall.