DjangoBooks.com

Belgian interview with Stéphane on Django

Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
edited March 2019 in History Posts: 457
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else so I thought I'd share this. They talk about Django and Stéphane plays Nuages, no idea what they're saying unfortunately.
https://www.sonuma.be/archive/django-grappelli-et-le-jazz

Comments

• PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    I saw it before (when I discovered the Belgian archives) but it is not really interesting so I didnt even share.
    The interviewer mistakenly said: So Stephane Grappelli, when you started the Quintet with Django, it represented the first contact with jazz for the French (and European) audience?
    Stephane does not understand really the question so he says general stuff.
    He then described the creation of the Quintet as we all know it (started in the back of a room, between sets...)
    The interviewer asked how long they played together?
    Stephane said From 1933 to WWII.
    The interviewer said And then you fled to England?
    Stephane corrects that it was the opposite: they were all there, he stayed but they left.
    He then talks about Django: one of the most brilliant musicians he ever met, in every aspect.
    The interviewer asked And in everyday life?
    Stephane answered DJango was really nice, tres humain (hard to translate: it means understanding, down to earth...) and he says that no day goes without him thinking of Django.

And then they play Django
    JojoSvanis1337Teddy Dupontwim
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    PapsPier wrote: »
    He then talks about Django: one of the most brilliant musicians he ever met, in every aspect.
    The interviewer asked And in everyday life?
    Stephane answered DJango was really nice, tres humain (hard to translate: it means understanding, down to earth...) and he says that no day goes without him thinking of Django.

Grappelli was very ambivalent towards Django throughout his life. Sometimes he was extremely positive about him and sometimes considerably less so. In all honesty, it must have been difficult working with Django as he was so capricious, living to his own rules and doing what he wanted to do when he wanted to do it almost regardless of the consequences.

At the end of his life Grappelli once said "If I ever had a friend, it was Django". Perhaps he was looking back through rose tinted glasses but a nice way for him to remember the time they spent together when they created music that will last forever.
    wimFrançois RAVEZBillDaCostaWilliams