DjangoBooks.com

Django, russian cabaret, a spy and german soldiers - Oct 40

PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
in History Posts: 426

Hello

today I want to share the second article of a series that we could call Listen to Django during WWII. This article describes the concerts he gave at the cabaret Le Monte Cristo in October 1940.

I let you read to see how the spy, Germans etc, come into play.

I must admit that for this one, I was not able to get any direct information about the Quintet itself but I think this article will still give you a better idea of what Django and the Quintet were doing at that time.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for the upcoming posts.

spatzoJosechikyBucoMichaelHorowitzBonesPetrov

Comments

• swiesslerswiessler NorCalNew Dupont MD20,Gibson L5,Bumgarner F hole(DiMauro type)

Très intéressant! Une description véritable de la vie en Paris pendant la guerre du monde deux.

• spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    edited July 2019 Posts: 768

That's a nice article! Tks PapsPier!

I think that you can find other photos of Makinsky (maybe with no"ck") for exemple here: https://www.gettyimages.fr/detail/photo-d%27actualit%C3%A9/cyrille-makinsky-herve-alphand-chester-s-williams-photo-dactualit%C3%A9/50523471

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 599

I want to know more about the accordion-playing "wild Gypsy" princess, 'Marco', with her long black hair & shining eyes, also the singer, Nara or Hara Padlo... who was she?

<edited for dumbness>

Murielclaire
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭

Thanks for your support guys! I saw the pictures you refer too Spatzo but because it is not free (from Getty) and it is again pictures after war, I didnt think too relevant to include them.

And for his name, I saw it written Makinsky, Mackinsky or even Makiwsky. I can tell you that it was hard to find any relevant information with the wrong name! In the end, I chose to go with Mackinsky because it is the name I found in the official report he filed in 1958 with the Comite d histoire de la seconde guerre mondiale.

Andy, in another newsclip we have another description of the gypsy princess, called Gypsy Markoff which is not super interesting but I must admit that I didnt look for more information about her. Neither did I look for more about Nara Padlo. (especially because she is mentioned as a minor artist, who probably just had a career in this type of cabarets). I already spent so much time tracking down Galia Toumanova, which is just a minor artist, I didnt really want to do it again LOL.

AndyW
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

Ahah- here's Gypsy, she's rather infamous and rather beautiful:

there are quite a few references to her on internet - I wonder if she ever played with Django & the Hot Club guys??

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

The blog post above does not load for me, but there were loads of google results - Olga "Gypsy" Markoff, born Russia 1917

An interesting anecdote: apparently she was one of the 15 survivors of plane crash into the Tagus River, Portugal (February 22, 1943) and 10 years later wins damages from Pan American Airlines

• BonesBones Moderator

Wow interesting thanks! Wish I could read French.

@Bones use Google translate, it does a good job.

Bones
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel