DjangoBooks.com

Something that should be shared and mentioned

edited June 2019 in Welcome Posts: 4,730

Since not everybody here is using FB, I myself very sporadically;

Andrew organized it on behalf of Debi Botos who was planned to come and teach at Django in June 2019 but couldn't because of visa complications.

What is notable here, to say the least, is that Andrew already paid for her trip to Samois regardless of results of the fundraising campaign. @AndrewLawrence you are a gentlemen to learn from.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

Comments

It met the goal and then some after one day.

• TonyReesTonyRees New South Wales, Australia

And when she got there...

I believe the tune is "Joseph, Joseph".

Cheers - Tony

MichaelHorowitzBucoBillDaCostaWilliams

Haha that's awesome!

TonyRees
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15

I just want to know whose idea was it to make it so difficult for musicians to get into the US to play a few shows? I think ISIS fighters can come and go with less difficulty...

• scotscot Virtuoso

It's never been easy for musicians to play in foreign countries and it still isn't - musician's unions see to that. Django was prohibited from playing in some venues in NYC because he did not have the right permits or a union card. Likewise in Paris where the unions guarded their territory very jealously. Why should non-union labor get jobs that rightfully belong to union members, or at least local musicians? I'm a 30-year union man (IAMAW) myself, and while I understand the thinking, these laws were written in a different time for different circumstances. But don't expect them to change any time soon.

MichaelHorowitz
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator

Debi didn't get in on a very very stupid technicality that was 100% the fault of the union, and the border officer was extremely anal about it. But things worked out for her!

• criminelcriminel buenos aires✭✭✭

When the late Bud Powell returned to the US he was unable to play until he's got his cabaret card back. Sounds logical.

• AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15

I don't see the harm in someone on a short-term basis visiting and playing abroad. I understand there being regulation with regards to long-term or permanent status, but not 4 weeks or less. Do they really believe that would impact the job market for musicians? If I wanted to hire a musician from England, let's say, it wouldn't be because the American musician was too expensive - it's because I want THAT particular player who happens to live somewhere else.

• BonesBones Moderator

What was the technicality?