DjangoBooks.com

"Hearing Brazil's Choro" series

AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
in Woodwinds Posts: 600

A recent series of five videos from Jazz at the Lincoln Centre's excellent education series.

In part 4 , Anat Cohen discusses the role of the clarinet in Choro

I chose this one video because "Ternura" is such a beautiful tune, and I like to play it in the gypsy jazz [latin] style.

[ DM me for a clarinet lead sheet, if you need ]

Anat Cohen is a tremendous player, too, with beautiful tone & improvisational ideas

The other videos talk about the instrumentation & roles of the other players, the music's history, etc, check out all five parts.

-Andy-

https://youtu.be/-DuG6H4i8zw

BillDaCostaWilliamsBuco

Comments

I love Ternura! We play it too. On the way to Django in June this year it was a bug in my ear for hours and once I was in the room I sat down to figure the melody and then recorded it (clarinet normally play the melody, of course).

AndyW
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BonesBones Moderator

Nice stuff. Thanks!

AndyW
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

nicely done, Buco

Buco
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.