DjangoBooks.com

Tcha Limberger scat/violin call and response

adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
in Welcome Posts: 542

I love it when Tcha Limberger scats and does call-and-response between his voice and violin. I've just transcribed his performance of "I Surrender Dear" at the Irish festival Django Sur Lennon in September 2019:

https://www.soundslice.com/slices/W1MVc/

Great phrasing and rhythmic ideas in here — hope you enjoy and get something out of it!

Adrian

BucoMichaelHorowitzBillDaCostaWilliams

Comments

This is incredible hearing live in an intimate jam situation where you get the full impact of this unique way of performing. As far as I know he's the only one that does this. I especially get a kick out of it when he starts harmonizing.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • therealguyfitherealguyfi Milwaukee, WINew Barault

Wow! Thank you....In this context you really see what a master he is, for him there’s no difference between playing and singing.

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator

There are a few other musicians that I know who do this (but not in Gypsy Jazz) but one other person who does this is his bandmate Renaud Crols. Tcha is actually in awe of Renaud’s ears and violin technique. Renaud is not more known because he mainly keeps a low profile and often busy touring as a pianist in swing bands that play for Lindy Hoppers. We just finished filming a lesson series for my site yesterday where he demonstrates the same stuff !

Buco
  • BonesBones Moderator

The rhythm guitarist has an interesting right hand technique that he uses sometimes. Does anyone know what that is?

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Thanks Adrian, I was just marvelling at his version of the tune this very morning as I listened to his "‘Live’ in Foix" album.

Don’t know the name of the style, Bones, but I think you are referring to  Dave Kelbie – he runs the Lejazzetal label.

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited November 2019 Posts: 1,454

There was a whole thread just discussing Dave Kelbie's interesting technique here on the forums somewhere, but I can't find it again now since the forum search feature works so poorly..

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Question for you, Adrian... did you transcribe Tcha’s singing, or did Soundslice do it all by itself?

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso

I transcribed it. Soundslice does not create transcriptions by itself; no software in the world does that with any reasonable degree of accuracy. With that said, Soundslice makes it easy for humans to transcribe, because it combines transcription tools (slowdown/looping) with a built-in notation editor. More info here.

Adrian

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited November 2019 Posts: 1,854

Thanks... Just curious... hey, there was an interesting article in the Toronto Star today about quantum computing, which seems as though it will be the next big thing...

So maybe when you program your quantum version of Soundslice, you can make it go through the music matching tones with the original note for note, and then playing its echoed version back for you to listen back and edit... and meanwhile the computer is watching you edit and learning how to do that all by itself...

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."