DjangoBooks.com

What's your favorite bass rosin?

AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
in Bass Posts: 541

Hi all you bassists-

I was recently watching one of Denis Chang's first videos on Gypsy Jazz where he recounted the story of how if a young gypsy boy isn't doing sufficiently well on the guitar, they assign him the bass.

So needless to say, I'm going to try the bass.

I went out and found an inexpensive used Romanian laminate bass, complete with a bow and a nice gig bag; however, it didn't come with any rosin. So, in 500 words or less, please share your opinions on what brand of rosin I should buy.

1 2 3 Go.

Andy

Tagged:
mac63000Buco

Comments

• TomasTomas CzechNew Oval By luthier Jakub Hřib, Gitane birdseye maple "prototype model", Ibanez ag95qa

Hi Andy. Im mostly bass player and definitely the most favorite one in jazz is Pops rosin. Best thing about that is, that there is no so much dust after playing. And Im copletely satisfied with the playing and sound. It is certainty. But its just part of all. It depends on strings and bow hairs.

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator

Ya lots of people love Pops rosing for jazz because it really sticks to the bow giving you extra punch. If you get your bow rehaired with black hair, it's apparently even stickier so you get that really powerful attack.

The only down side is that you have to be careful with storage as it melts really quickly and can become a mess. I have a rosin saver for that. you can google it

• TomasTomas CzechNew Oval By luthier Jakub Hřib, Gitane birdseye maple "prototype model", Ibanez ag95qa

Yeah..with black hairs it sticky as hell..but mabye too much for me if I want to play gently or classical music like Bach. But If you want to play jazz loud and fast..its good combination.

edited December 2019 Posts: 38

Or somethig between is pepper and salt bow hairs. And stronger hairs=stronger sound..bud less sensitive..in my opinion.

I studied classical bass and I always found pops too sticky. I use Nyman. Also note I have black hair on my now and head. ;)