DjangoBooks.com

Bireli Lagrene coming to Berkeley, CA for the Freight& Salvage Django Reinhardt Birthday Celebration

Comments

• Paul MehlingPaul Mehling sf CA✭✭✭

Biréli Lagrène Trio, Christine Tassan et les Imposteures, Hot Club of San Francisco Reunion

Friday, January 24th

• swiesslerswiessler NorCalNew Dupont MD20,Gibson L5,Bumgarner F hole(DiMauro type)

Thank you for posting Paul!!!

• pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat

Wow - all in here!!!

Anybody needing a drive from Palo Alto area - let me know.

I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • BonesBones Moderator

Any tour dates in So Cal?

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭

Man this festival in SF looks great. What a great lineup.

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    edited January 2020 Posts: 705

Don't forget Django's birthday celebration festival at the Freight & Salvage in Berkeley this weekend. Great line up this year featuring Bireli with William Brunard on bass, and Frank Wolf on sax. Other acts include lots of Paul Mehling with HCSF and others, youthful phenom, Henry Acker, Christine Tassan et les Imposteures, Pearl Django and last but certainly not least Gonzalo Bergara with Rob Hardt on clarinet/sax, Max O’Rourke on rhythm guitar and Gabe Noel on bass. Now get this, workshops are free to ticket holders! I just noticed that Friday is sold out.

Buco
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore

Last night I saw Bireli in Santa Cruz. He played two sets which were very arranged and were magnificent. Gypsy jazz purists may be off put by the fact that his show was very modern, incorporating some straight ahead jazz and some fusion. He played his flattop guitar (Fylde) which he plugged directly into the PA with through a Fishman preamp/DI box (His guitar has a built in Baggs piezo). And he also used a Boss delay pedal at times.

By chance, I ran into him on the street after the show and got to chat with him quite a bit about music and guitars. That was significant for me as I have always wanted to thank him for the profound influence and inspiration he has given me. I can report that in addition to being one of the greatest guitarists of all time, he is a very warm human being.

Anyone who can catch the shows in "Beserkeley" will have a chance to witness the worlds greatest living guitarist at the top of his game.

"When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass