DjangoBooks.com

Garage Sale Selmer

My wife and I love to visit garage sales. A few weeks ago we happened upon a garage sale in our neighbourhood. At first, it seemed like your run-of-the-mill sale. I went over to the records and, to my surprise found a Tchan Tchou and a mint Bousquet! When I went to pay for them ($1/record) I introduced myself to the little, old French woman who was holding the sale. I believe she said her name was Madame Helene Taureaumerde. Anyways I asked how she came by the records and she replied, "my husband was a musician in France and the records were his." When I asked what instrument he played she said, "accordeon and guitar". "Do you still have his guitar?" I asked. "Oui" she replied. When I asked if I could see the guitar, she took us down into her very tidy basement. She retrieved the guitar from under the stairs and put it on her washing machine. She told me that the guitar was very old and was "sans electrique". I couldn't believe it when she opened the case and there it was... a D hole Selmer/Maccaferri!

I asked if she would sell it to me and she said she would want at least $500 for it. I knew, from reading "Garage Sales for Dummies" that my counter offer would be critical. Too much and she would get suspicious, too little and she might be offended. So we compromised at $375.

The finish was pretty beat-up, so I sanded off what was remaining and then had it refinished. It plays great and I'm very happy with it.

I've posted some pics in the photo section at;

viewtopic.php?t=2369

Cheers

Wayne

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Mother of God. You dirty, lucky, rat. It looks to be in amazing condition-and I was sure you were pulling our leg!

Regarding Madame Taureaumerde's husband; if I'm not very mistaken, he was active with the Sh'Ovel group during the fifties. I'll take a look in the archives to see if I can dig out a recording.

Best,
    Jack.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    edited November 2006 Posts: 1,252
    << delete >>

You fished me in.

Dude, I was livid.

Good one.

Arrgh.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    Gee Wayne that looks just like a certain Selmer copy I've seen made by a certain luthier you work with in Canada. Is somebody pulling our leg???
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
  • wayne nakamurawayne nakamura ✭✭✭✭
    "Regarding Madame Taureaumerde's husband; if I'm not very mistaken, he was active with the Sh'Ovel group during the fifties. I'll take a look in the archives to see if I can dig out a recording. "

Jack:

I'd be very interested if you could find anything on Sh'Ovel. My limited research has not been fruitful. Someone told me that he recorded a 78 with Buddy Bolen and Brock Mumford. I've also heard that Bamboula Ferret wrote a song called Valse pour Sh'Ovel.

Cheers

Wayne
    So, jokes aside - did you really meet this lady you're talking about?

It would be really cool to know more about the lives of working musicians back then. I know a lot of people have written about the ultra famous musicians and their lives, but what might be very interesting is an interview or short article on the life of a "working musician" in those days. My guess is that the wife of a working musician in the '30s would have to be a fairly practical person without a lot of pretense - she would probably just lay it out there as it happened.

That would make a fantastic period piece and you could probably get it published in guitar player magazine or something. It would be a welcome change from the standard articles of:

1.) "Tips for soloing over: [insert chord progression here]"
    2.) "A candid interview with: [insert name of famous person here]"
    3.) "Sneak peak at / review of: [insert name of new gadget here]"

I thought it was pretty cool that this month Michael Molina (editor) actually alluded to the fact the repetitiveness of material and reader comments can be a pain in the butt for both he and the readership.
    http://www.guitarplayer.com/story.asp?s ... code=16261
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I agree it would be an interesting article, but you have to ask yourself:
    "What's in a name?"

Best,
    Jack.
    What a cynical lot you guys are. Whatever happened to innocence, naivety and good old-fashioned gullibility?

Jack: It's good to see how well you've managed with your French lessons. I'm sure Madame Bullshit would be impressed.

OK so here's the skinny. It's a 2006 Michael Collins 12 fret D hole. Michael had the opportunity to completely spec a Selmer. He found that many of the plans which are available are slightly off in many areas.

Michael did a great job with this one. The sound is LOUD, growly, crunchy with an elastic, singing top end. The elastic part comes partly from, IMO, the shorter scale. After playing long scales for a long time, the looser string tension is really fun.

It was not our intention to deceive anyone for financial gain. Michael clearly signed the underside of the soundboard.

Bob: I think part of my motivation for this "flight of fantasy" is related to your post ie repetitiveness of material, reader comments and posts. I just wanted to entertain in my Walter Mitty way.

Oh, I almost forgot. I'm still trying to sell my original '59 sunburst Les Paul. All original. Honest.

Cheers you sharp-eyed cynics.

Wayne
    I played your guitar at DFNW - nice rig but I think you should put a Bigsby on it. It would look ... like... totally rad.

:)
    Bob:

Great minds think alike. I put a bigsby on my Dell'arte years ago.

Wayne
    Here's a pic of Matt Munisteri and Whit Smith backstage at DFNW just before their set. Matt is playing my D hole and Whit is playing a Collins Favino Oval (which may still be for sale).

These guys filled the dressing room with joyful sounds. Matt kept apologizing, saying, "I can't play these long scale guitars" and then would play great Matelot version of Chez Jacquet. Matt's got a very gypsyesque right hand pompe. Ted G joined Matt for a few tunes.

It was fun to watch the crowds reaction to Whit's set. Lots of open mouths in the hall.

cheers

Wayne