DjangoBooks.com

Ischell Inside BOX + CPJ

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Mike do you know why its mounted just forward of the bridge (vs just behind) ?

I suppose that they found through experimentation that it sounds best there. Up till now I have just been using it with the recommended placement. I plan to experiment a bit, it probably sounds good in other places as well. I'll let you know what I find out.

M
  • Paulius VolkovasPaulius Volkovas ✭✭✭
    Just got the Ischell pickup today. My first impressions are really good. Sounds natural and you can get it to sound really loud. At first I plugged it to my AER Alpha Plus and thought it was VERY bright, but then i realised there was Mic/Line switch on the amp set to Mic. So when i set it to Line everything sounded much better.
    Also i noticed this pickup is really sensitive to mobile phone radio interference. I had to turn of my phone to stop these annoying sounds comming through the amp.

For those who use this pickup: do you use a low cut on the metal box? I kinda like the 180 Hz low cut - sounds old skool to me :)
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    My Schertler David amp has a ground lift switch. Occasionally I've picked up radio interference and can eliminate it with that switch.

I haven't used the low cut settings on the Ischell, but I do use the one on the amp, which is equivalent to the 180 Hz switch on the Ischell. Otherwise, there is a lot of boominess.

Neither of these comments is peculiar to the Ischell, the same applies when using my AT831b mike.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • matt67matt67 ✭✭
    Hey guys
    Any updates on these mics?
    I may be interested by the msk2 + acj but it's quite expensive
    Thanks
    matt
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Our experiences to date have been nothing but positive. We played a gig recently at a dinner/dance at a fairly noisy cafe, left the Ischells and preamps set up the same as the last gig in a different environment with a different PA, and everything went very smoothly. Good volume, no feedback, very natural sound. We're completely sold on them. Worth their weight in hedgehogs!
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    Is there any chance someone who owns one of these cloud record & post a flat EQ direct line in recording of one of these pick-ups so we can hear how realistic they sound. I bought a second hand Matheos last year with a really realistic pickup installed in it, but i can't tell what it is. I'm intrigued as to weather the Ichell is better than my present pickup for quality of sound, or if that is what i've already got. Mine does feedback though, if pushed loud enough.
  • Paulius VolkovasPaulius Volkovas ✭✭✭
    I am also very satisfied with this pickup. Got many compliments on the sound from fellow musicians as well.
  • AhabAhab GB✭✭
    I use an AAD Cub for most gigs as I don't need lots of volume for the gigs I do and I like it's portability. I use a small condenser mike for amplification but the Cub isn't particularly loud. Does the Ischell contact mike have a lot of gain, especially when using the preamp? Would be worth using another preamp to boost volume?

Thanks for any help in advance.
    The "preamp" is really just a power module. There are no controls on it (including gain), other than the two low cut switches. I have run it through my Schertler David with no additional preamp, and the volume is quite good, better than I was able to get with my condenser, so you would probably be fine with your Cub. However, if you ever intend to run it through a PA system, a real preamp such as the Baggs Para DI is invaluable, mainly as a tool to contour the sound as needed in such a situation. Although your sound person can do a lot of that through the board, it's even better if you can do it closer to the source.

Also, I was told by Ischell that the pickup won't run on standard phantom power. This does not seem to be quite true, as I was able to do so. However, it sounded kind of funny, and I have stuck with the supplied power module ever since.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • AhabAhab GB✭✭
    Thanks for the advice, it does seem that this pickup offers the best peformance overall and the price is pretty reasonable compared to the Schertler range. If there are any Cub users out there using one of these let me know you thoughts!