DjangoBooks.com

I Need Serious Advice on How to Move Forward

Comments

WOW! I missed a few days…caught a bug and was laid out…coming back and reading all these news posts is great. Feels good to have started a useful dialog and to interact with so many other players, enthusiasts and teachers! Thanks Janet for that really nice comment. Are you going to study with Robin Nolan?!?! You are lucky to live in Amsterdam!

Jazzaferri’s comments really blew me away. You, Sir, are my inspiration and newest hero! Go back to school at 60 and begin Gypsy style in your 50s…dammmmm! Too cool!

OK…may a pose another question? This one is very easy and a lot less philosophical. I need a really good source to learn some Gypsy Standards quickly. I need TAB and well laid out chord charts (yes, with diagrams I am embarrassed to say…but I’m working on it)! I am mostly in need of the chords to play the rhythm but I would like to have the lead part there too…for down the road. I am in this little “band of gypsies” and they are all great…and they just say, “OK, next week we’ll work on Nuages, Minor Swing and Indiferance`.” And I am expected to know how to play it. So far I have been lucky with YouTube and Google but that luck is running out. So, what is the best thing…Pearl Django, Robin Nolan, Django in a Box…etc? What’s the best item for my needs?

Thank you all so much for making me feel welcome and included in such a wonderful group of folks.

Best to All – Chet
    WOW! I missed a few days…caught a bug and was laid out…coming back and reading all these news posts is great. Feels good to have started a useful dialog and to interact with so many other players, enthusiasts and teachers! Thanks Janet for that really nice comment. Are you going to study with Robin Nolan?!?! You are lucky to live in Amsterdam!

Jazzaferri’s comments really blew me away. You, Sir, are my inspiration and newest hero! Go back to school at 60 and begin Gypsy style in your 50s…dammmmm! Too cool!

OK…may a pose another question? This one is very easy and a lot less philosophical. I need a really good source to learn some Gypsy Standards quickly. I need TAB and well laid out chord charts (yes, with diagrams I am embarrassed to say…but I’m working on it)! I am mostly in need of the chords to play the rhythm but I would like to have the lead part there too…for down the road. I am in this little “band of gypsies” and they are all great…and they just say, “OK, next week we’ll work on Nuages, Minor Swing and Indiferance`.” And I am expected to know how to play it. So far I have been lucky with YouTube and Google but that luck is running out. So, what is the best thing…Pearl Django, Robin Nolan, Django in a Box…etc? What’s the best item for my needs?

Thank you all so much for making me feel welcome and included in such a wonderful group of folks.

Best to All – Chet
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Chet, do you have the Django Fakebook (freely available, a generous gift)? Other than that, I can tell you that I've been really enriched by DC Gypsy School's series, the Hono Winterstein material. Winterstein II is rhythm on, what 32 standards? Granted, it's not melody, but extremely helpful and clear work by a rhythm master. Denis has created another gem, in my opinion (I years ago got his DVD series, accompaniment and improvisation).
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • Chet Robin Nolan may still have copies of his gig book that has tab and chords for about 50 of GJ standards

Definitely worth getting.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    WHAT DENNIS SAID !! That is basically the breakthrough I've had recently. Specifically, either the basic arppegios in the same chord inversion(E shape A shape, D shape) over each chord of the song, OR the same lick transposed for each chord. I've been doing that lately and it really works.
    Here one for your pros...I have charts, lots of charts...but they read like this:

Am - Dm - E7 - Am - Bb - E7 etc. etc.

This is next to useless for me. Sure I can play 5 Am's off the top of my head and find a few more if I look but I need the cool Gypsy voicings...and though the chart reads Am - isn't it really an Am6+9 1/2dim ! OK, that might be a bit extreme but my point is an Am is never just an Am in the land of Manouche!

Me bitching: I am so tired of not knowing what I am doing and constantly doing everything the long hard way only to forget the hours of hard learned music becasue it's just rote memorization instead of actually understanding it as music.

Am I alone in the world of people whom are frustrated becasue after enough years of playing we develop some physical ability but have no idea what is actually going on? I feel like a victim of my own sucess...I'm NOT saying I am any good (yet) but I can play WITH the guitar...I just can't actually PLAY the guitar. Or maybe better put, I can play the guitar but I can't play music on the guitar...heck you all know what I am trying to say.

Anyway...about those damm Gypsy chords I need...advice...Buhler...Buhler...?
  • fillegitanefillegitane New YorkNew
    Hi,
    Step back from the ledge, go inside and if you don't already have it, order Michael's Gypsy Rhythm. In addition to being a great rhythm tutorial it also has all the cool GJ chords you could ever want (including passing chords, tritone subs, etc.) along with concise explanations of how these chords function and fit together. Hope this helps.
    Best,
    Robbie
    ach mishto
  • Plus one on What Robbie said
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • marcelodamonmarcelodamon Hattiesburg, MS✭✭✭ 2005 AJL Modèle Marcelo Damon Selmer copy, 2020 Aylward Favino copy
    Hello,

I posted an article on www.djangology.net entitled "The Importance of Being Ernest(ly) Economical" in which I enumerated the ways I thought successful and expeditious progress could be achieved. Give it a read, if you want, and see if it offers you any good ideas.

The article is about developing technique, as well as transcribing.

Kind Regards,

Marcelo Damon

http://www.djangology.net
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    It's a nice post, Marcelo, and a wonderful resource in your article (and website - never came across it until just now), many thanks, speaking personally.

In some ways, your article reminds me of training I had in Alexander Technique, a similar principle, basically: ridding oneself of habitual tensions carried in the body, and knowing oneself in performance, where one is holding an unnecessary tension to achieve "it," whatever the performing "it" is (whether a soaring monologue, aria, contorted bodily 'character' assumption, etc.), and having the acute sensitivity to both know the tension, and let it go. It's a powerful principle, one this skeptic was more or less blown away by when first entering into this kind of training...amazing what happens in art when physical habits of tension are let go, and the "true self" comes through as a result.

Anyway, I expound and digress. Appreciate your post, and your site.

Paul
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.