DjangoBooks.com

I Need Serious Advice on How to Move Forward

124»

Comments

Hi,
    Step back from the ledge

What a great way to sum up my frustration! Once again, great advice. I will do this. I kind of feel like I'm in the situation (finally) where the statement "when the studnet is ready, the teacher will appear" applies. In this situation this forum is, at least in large part...'the teacher'! All of you have helped. I only wish we could all hang out. That's the next peice of this puzzle...I need to find a way to be around the world of music and interact with people that live and breath this stuff...and it doesn't have to be Gypsy Jazz, people playing any music with depth of understanding would be great.

Thanks to all!

PS: I want to move to Amsterdam, buy the AER amp with the rechargeable battery and load 100 backing tracks of Gypsy tuness into my loop pedal and just busk on the streets! Kind of like Gauguin only with really cool toys.
  • Marcelo. I too play a Blue Chip Pick

I had Matthew make me a few Jazz Lage with TriTip tips. I have been playing on the first one a few hours a day for two years now. It is very slightly more rounded now but the only way to tell is by comparing.

Quietest and fastest pick I have ever used.

Sorry for the HiJack. Enjoyed your take on composition
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • marcelodamonmarcelodamon Hattiesburg, MS✭✭✭ 2005 AJL Modèle Marcelo Damon Selmer copy, 2020 Aylward Favino copy
    Thanks for all the kind compliments regarding my posts at djangology. I spend a lot of time thinking about music when I don't have my guitar physically in my hands. I realized long ago, that the process of becoming an exceptional, virtuosic, and melodic improviser in this style (and all others), required a sort of monk-like discipline as well as introspective cultivation to bring your true musical self to fruition. I have noticed that some people arrive there before others because their plan of attack to achieve this goal is more defined, and they chase it more fervently.

In the last few years, in meditating about music, and trying to iron out the kinks in my playing, I have discovered an occasional pearl of wisdom, so I appreciate the positive feedback on my articles. I will keep them coming as they are revealed to me through my own reflections on music!

We all have a unique musical voice, and I always look forward to hearing it in every player I meet.

Marcelo Damon
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    Chet,

Great guitar name, by the way. I too have come to this style of playing late in life (I'm 60 years old!). I'd like to know how you have progressed since you posted this plea for help. I am going back and reading old posts in an effort to answer some of the questions you raised here for myself.

The answer to this question may be too late, but the quickest way to learn one of Django's early entire solos to Minor Swing is to purchase Yakov Hoter's course from GypsyJazzschool.com. Not only do you learn the entire solo note for note, he also breaks down improvisation technique theory for the song in three lessons with increasing sophistication per lesson. There's also a lot of information on picking technique and rhythm for the song. All in all, it's quite a bargain even at $50. That's the route I set for myself when I began studying Gypsy Jazz guitar. It took me about two months to digest the entire solo and to play at near speed. I also purchased his study on ballads and worked up a very nice fingerpicking version of Tears.

I must also say that prior to the Gypsy Jazz school lesson, I also paid $50 for Robin Nolan's jumpstart master class for the song Minor Swing. Truth be told, there is no comparison. There's simply a ton of material in Yakov Hoter's version of this class versus Robin Nolan's.

I am currently working my way through Michael's Gypsy Picking book. I must say, it is a revelation.

But I find myself in a similar place that others have described started playing this music late in life. I feel that I want all my practice time and playing time to be of the highest quality. One thing I do know, however, from being a long time, part time musician since I was in the sixth grade: play soulfully, musically, beautifully. After all, what is the point of any music if not to bring these qualities to the fore.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited January 2014 Posts: 1,855
    Chet, best of luck from a fellow traveller who didn't start studying this style until age 55 and seven years later is still working hard at it. I'm a hobby player who plays at an intermediate level but then again I'm not one of these cats who practises seriously for hours a day... I mean, I'd like to be, but not at the cost of my marriage!

There are lots of great learning resources out there, as previous posters have listed, and it seems that they all have their followers. And naturally, what works really great for one person may not for the next person.

But for playing lead, the one resource I'd say that has had near-universal acclaim among newbies is Michael Horowitz' "Gypsy Picking", so personally I would encourage you to start there.

If you are like me and a lot of other guys around here, that one book is going to keep you busy for six to twelve months rebooting your right hand, which is the first thing a newbie needs to do.

While you're doing that, hang around here and get a feel for where you'll want to go next... Or better still, try to meet and hang around with some real live GJ players.

My $.02...

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • Franz MoralesFranz Morales Philippines✭✭
    Hi, question about the Denis Chang video "Minor Swing Guitar Etude"... the repeating licks played there are taught in the lesson? I started playing gypsy a few months ago, and have a decent arpeggio knowledge. However, when I try to improvise, it sounds like an exercise. haha. I need licks! :P
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    edited January 2014 Posts: 476
    Chet,
    I'm older than you. As other bits of me fall away in decay, the music and guitar just gets better. Just imagine that your 12 years old, restless, and cocky (hiding those insecurities)! Works for me!
    Nobody sounds like Django. Probably can't be done! But at least we can sound like ourselves!
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK